PDA

View Full Version : skimmer up close

arash_hazeghi
09-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Not usually a fan of clipped wings but like this one. Maybe it's just me :) Shot with the Sony A9 II and 600 mm f/4 GM + 2X TC at 1200mm. This is full-frame horizontal cropped into a vertical image so there is nothing I can do with it. The AF at 1200mm is incredible even when the bird is flying at MFD and in your face, hard to believe it even works

Sony A9 II 600 GM + 2X TC (1200mm) f/8 ISO-1600 1/4000 sec hand held processed with C1P

David Roach
09-02-2020, 12:52 AM
Love this in your face crop with so many scrumptious details and the BG is dreamy. At 1200 mm just finding the bird would be challenging... TFS

ps
Love the sand...

gail bisson
09-02-2020, 08:35 AM
Nice and sharp with great light.
I like the water droplets on the bird.
Surprisingly, I am OK with the cut-off wings.
I am not a fan of the tan BG but that is purely subjective.
A lovely frame with lots of good details!
Gail

annmpacheco
09-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Wowsa, this is beautifully detailed Arash, looking forward to more results with the rig.

Jonathan Ashton
09-03-2020, 02:49 AM
Looks very good to me.
I keep asking and this is a genuine question - what is the value in posting such a tall image? Can anyone see the image at full size on their screen? I can take it to PS and of course i can view at 100% but I can't see the image in its entirety, equally on the website, I can reduce the size to fit the screen but I don't think this does the image quality justice - so can someone please tell me what am I missing or misunderstanding? I am guessing there a very few people who can see full images sized at 1600-1900px on the vertical axis - am I wrong?

arash_hazeghi
09-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Hi Jon
this image is meant to be viewed on a modern 4K monitor which is what I use. If it’s too large for your screen unfortunately you have to scroll if you like to view it in a browser.

best

Daniel Cadieux
09-03-2020, 03:29 PM
The wings are not "clipped"...they are purposefully and carefully "cut" at the right spot. Maybe that's why you like it? Or maybe it's the excellent IQ, details, colours, and everything else?:t3 Excellent image Arash.

Arthur Morris
09-03-2020, 04:08 PM
If an image is too large and you are on a Mac, you can simply hit Command + Minus until it fits. Not sure on a PC.

with love, a

Arthur Morris
09-03-2020, 04:11 PM
As for the image, spectacular and sick. AF at 1200mm. For folks who think this is easy it is not. Simply HH-ing a 600 is tough. At 1200mm it is impossible for most folks to find the bird in the frame even when on a tripod. Hats off to the skill involved here. That said, a9 ii AF is amazing.

with love, a

ps: what AF pattern do you sue at 1200mm?

Dorian Anderson
09-03-2020, 11:23 PM
Yeah, even with the clipped wings this image shows what this gear can do, in the right hands of course. Lighting is really nice, and I like that we can see the sun just above the horizon in the eye. Strong frame.

John Mack
09-06-2020, 04:34 PM
It works well with the bird centered. The light is sweet. The detail is killer as well.

arash_hazeghi
09-07-2020, 11:22 AM
As for the image, spectacular and sick. AF at 1200mm. For folks who think this is easy it is not. Simply HH-ing a 600 is tough. At 1200mm it is impossible for most folks to find the bird in the frame even when on a tripod. Hats off to the skill involved here. That said, a9 ii AF is amazing.

with love, a

ps: what AF pattern do you sue at 1200mm?

hey Artie thank. it is not a walk in the park yet but I think the “thin” Sony TC 2X helps a lot too. The old canon 2X was twice as thick as the Sony which would further lengthen the rig pushing the center of gravity away from the camera. Now the Sony lens itself is light and with the 2X TC is added doesn’t really feel any different...If I were to close my eyes I would have a hard time telling if the TC is there