PDA

View Full Version : Everglades Moon

Judd Patterson
07-07-2008, 12:07 AM
http://www.juddpatterson.com/NSN/everglades3.jpg

The crescent moon appeared as the sky darkened and the last of the sunset light faded. This was taken in Everglades National Park last night.

Canon 5D, 24-105mm f/4 IS @ 58mm
1/30, f/7.1, ISO 400
handheld (no time for a tripod on this one; mosquitoes were incredibly voracious...worst I've ever experienced)

Noel Carboni
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Serenity captured. The end of a glorious day.

What you've done with the color is genius. It visually marks the transition into night most definitively, all in one frame.

The calmness of the image doesn't bely what you had to endure to shoot it. I've noticed the mosquitos are really starting to pick up.

-Noel

Michael Pancier
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
whereabouts? love the bands of colors.

Douglas Bolt
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Excellent, Judd. Reminds me of a Kansas sunset.... Well!

I like the intersecting lines made by the horizontal clouds and the tops of the trees. The progression of colors and density from lower right to upper left also adds to the overall impact of the image and highlights the moon. I don't know what the "bump" is at the horizon towards the right, but it does a nice job of breaking up the dark line of the horizon.

Wonderful image.

Fabs Forns
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Beautiful presentation of an Everglades sunset, they could be quite spectacular, specially after a stormy day :)

Roman Kurywczak
07-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey Judd,
I do like the separation of trees you have achieved for the most part ( a bit of merger on the left).........and color layers you have captured are spectacular......as for the moon.........because of the WA lens.........they tend to get pushed back into the frame........minimizing the impact. The placement is great.........just the relative small size in the frame don't seem to work for me.........an alternative would have been to push it to 105 with fewer of the trees.......making the crescent moon more of an impact.....or a double exposure. I have been out there in june and been eaten alive......so I definitely understand! My feeling on the moon size is very subjective though.........and since everything else is very striking.....it doesn't affect the overall imapct of the final image!

Maxis Gamez
07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Oh man.... This is OUTSTANDING!!!

The colors are terrific and so are the details. Another killer image Judd.

Judd Patterson
07-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Michael, this was taken in the vicinity of Mahogany Hammock. Thanks for the comments and suggestions folks!

Paul Marcellini
07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Really nice Judd, as I said before. I have been known to copy a moon from a scene, scale it up a notch and put back in place. That's about as far as I go in changing scene, as I am actually making it closer to reality. Just a thought.

Robert Amoruso
07-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Well composed Judd and the colors are spectacular. Agree on the moon - a bit too small.

This year is supposed to be a bumper crop for mosquitoes.

Mike Lentz
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Put it on the wall brotha! This is a winner!