PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron (Doing Its Best to Just Blend In)

Ed Vatza
01-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Taken this past weekend at a Heron rookery on an island in a small lake along New Jersey's North Shore. Two weeks ago we counted 25 herons blending in along the shore of the island. this past weekend we counted 18 but may have missed some because they can blend in very well.

Image was made with my 30D and 400/5.6 handheld.

1/400 sec at f/5.6; ISO 640; EC +1/3; No Flash

Image processed in Lightroom and PS7.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/067_1_1-4.jpg

Maxis Gamez
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Hello Ed,

This is a great habitat image. You did well focusing in your subject and nothing else. The composition works for me but the thick long stick that goes across the frame takes away from your subject, nothing you could really do but we have to pay attention to those details that we usually skip.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Now that is one unusual setting for this species. I'm not surprised you uploaded this image to a different server, it's quite a large file. :) I might go for a slightly tighter crop.

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Agree on the tighter crop You sure came up with a different bg Don't think I've see one like it !!!! Excellent detail on that bird !!!!

Arthur Morris
01-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I like most of the background and the exposure and sharpness are right on. The two branches that do bother me are the two fairly prominent vertical ones near the center of the image--the left-most one of the two intersects the bird's bill and is the worst offender. Not much that you could have done or do with it. It is what it is. Overall, well done.

later and love, artie

Ed Vatza
01-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I thought you would suggest more of crop. :) On one hand some of the branches did bother me but on the other there are so many that they all just seem to blend into the background.

Now I am not trying to circumvent the rules and slip another image in for critique but since you all expressed interest in the environmental aspect as well as the behavioral aspect, I thought I would share this image. This is one of many and actually from the previous weekend. These Herons were just hidden all along the brushy bank. If the original offers an interesting background, I guess this one offers an interesting foreground. :) If posting this is a problem let me know and I will delete it.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/189_1_1.jpg

Ed Vatza
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I like most of the background and the exposure and sharpness are right on. The two branches that do bother me are the two fairly prominent vertical ones near the center of the image--the left-most one of the two intersects the bird's bill and is the worst offender. Not much that you could have done or do with it. It is what it is. Overall, well done.

later and love, artie

Yes, the branch running behind the bill is the one that bothered me the most as well.

Thank you for the critique, Artie. I really appreciate it.

Tom Cudzilo
01-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Very well done image. Busy background but different. I would crop tight to avoid those branches going across. Thats the only way to fish this "problem" I think. Thanx for sharing.

Ed Vatza
01-10-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the feedback Tom. The background here is so dense that it almost gives the "feel" of a solid BG. For as busy as it is, I think the bird still "pops"!