PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin feeding chick

Jerry Barrack
08-31-2020, 09:02 AM
Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EF 500mm F/4L IS II USM plus 1.4x III, Shot at F 5.6, 1/400sec, ISO 800, aperture priority +2 1/3 EV. Gitzo tripod with Wimberly head. Some growth removed from upper right.

Limpkins are common in Sarasota, especially at the Celery Fields. They nest there and present many great photo opportunities. Catching a mom feeding her offspring in good light with a good background is a bonus.

Dorian Anderson
08-31-2020, 09:39 AM
A very tender moment, for sure. The behavior is wonderful, but you're kinda caught between a tighter headshot and a looser full body frame with the wonky square crop. I don't think the TC helped in this instance, but I don't know how much more canvas you have to show more of the birds. The little guy's clipped tail is particularly glaring. I can also see the cloning artifact, so you might want to revisit that to get a more blended transition. Frame also feels blue/cold, so I might warm it a bit.

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2020, 12:25 PM
Fun interaction, and much better image quality here! Glad the resizing went well:S3:. Two good head angles. Depending what the original frame looks like I could go for a bit more crop at left, and more canvas at right. I suppose that is what the insides of a snail looks like?

David Roach
08-31-2020, 12:30 PM
Love the interaction and IQ is much much better. TFS

Jerry Barrack
08-31-2020, 03:44 PM
Dorian and Dan, I took your advice and recropped the original. Not much wriggle room because they were very close. I also warmed it up a tad. Thanks for your C & C. Let me know if this is better.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2020, 05:49 AM
Yes, the repost has a much, much better compositional balance. Good job!

John Mack
09-01-2020, 02:18 PM
The repost works very well regarding the framing. The interaction is very nice.

Arthur Morris
09-03-2020, 04:36 PM
Yes, the repost is much, much better. I have never seen a fuzzy young Limpkin.

with love, a

Jerry Barrack
09-04-2020, 07:57 PM
Come to the Celery Fields in Sarasota in April and you will see the babies. They nest here and are quite common. Thanks for your comments and advice. It is always welcome.