PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron's Turn To Endure The Rain.

Daniel Cadieux
08-30-2020, 02:05 PM
Thanks for liking and commenting on previous my Caspian Tern in the heavy rain image! As a reward, here is a GBH taken on the same morning in similar conditions:t3. It can get nasty in the cold, windy, and wet weather, but you do get most of the usually busy places all to yourself! Plus you can get fun and unique images that others will never get by staying indoors anytime a cloud appears.

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/640s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF + a bit added to corners after a 0.75 degree CCW rotation.

Randy Stout
08-30-2020, 02:39 PM
Daniel:

Some of my all time favorite photos are from times when the weather is changing!

I like the heavy rain, the seemingly unconcerned GBH, SS to give some blur to the rain. The crop works well, might be tempted to add just a tiny sliver below for those long legs.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
08-31-2020, 05:48 AM
Daniel:

Some of my all time favorite photos are from times when the weather is changing!

I like the heavy rain, the seemingly unconcerned GBH, SS to give some blur to the rain. The cop works well, might be tempted to add just a tiny sliver below for those long legs.

Cheers

Randy

What policeman?

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
08-31-2020, 05:50 AM
Lovely. And you know how I feel about rain and birds :). Were you in your vehicle? If not, what do you use to protect your gear?

with love, arite

Dorian Anderson
08-31-2020, 09:48 AM
Yeah, the rain really makes this frame (but I don't know much about rain living in CA!). Some of these can have ratty plumage but this guy is really pretty. Excellent direct stare!

David Roach
08-31-2020, 01:33 PM
The rain, pose and framing just awesome. TFS

Brian Sump
08-31-2020, 05:43 PM
A fun frame Daniel. Plenty of detail in the bird, love the drops hitting the water and the horizon line really gives a sense of the length of these guys' neck.

Agree on a touch more below, and maybe even above as well.

Maybe you'll get a few dry ones here soon :-)

John Mack
09-01-2020, 02:03 PM
Love a bird in the rain. The pose and framing are right on. The dark green background makes the rain stand out nicely. Nothing like shooting in the rain.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2020, 07:32 PM
Lovely. And you know how I feel about rain and birds :). Were you in your vehicle? If not, what do you use to protect your gear?

with love, arite

Thanks Artie. I was outside. I have a "Storm Jacket" that I use for rainy days. It's getting old though, and water is starting to seep through...but not enough to be a worry just yet.

gail bisson
09-02-2020, 09:12 AM
I love,love birds in the rain so this frame is spot on for my taste.
I like the SS you choose because it gives the raindrops a nice shape,
Gail