PDA

View Full Version : Osprey incoming

Paul Burdett
08-25-2020, 07:26 AM
This Osprey likes to perch on a pole at the end of the pier. The fishermen there often drop a fish on the ground (which I dislike, as i'd prefer the Osprey to hunt normally...diving into the sea). In any case this Osprey grabbed the fish and flew off to a wooden pylon some distance away. Eventually it flew back towards me. Not the best sun angle, but I was able to fire off a number of shots.

D500, 500PF, 1/3200th sec, f5.6, iso 640, manual mode, HH. Cheers.

David Roach
08-25-2020, 02:28 PM
Hi Paul, Love the crop, pose and those eyes. Yes, light is holding this back but I love the details. TFS

John Mack
08-25-2020, 02:36 PM
Works very well with the bird centered. Most people will say the side light kills this. But hey I don't mind. It gives some nice depth. The dark background is nice.

Paul Burdett
08-25-2020, 04:06 PM
Thanks so much David & John. An hour or so later would have given me better light (sunset around 5.30pm) but the Osprey stayed put on the pole at that time. Always next time! Cheers.

Brian Sump
08-25-2020, 09:59 PM
An intense glare and details to spare. And a rhyme apparently.

I wonder if reducing blues in the shadows might help at all Paul.

Great job exercising your new gear!

Paul Burdett
08-26-2020, 04:29 AM
Hi Brian...You may not know it, but you are a poet...lol
Thanks for the feedback...will check out your suggestion. Cheers.

David Seymour
08-26-2020, 05:52 AM
Hi Paul,

Despite the lighting I think there's some scope for improving the look of this one with some shadow enhancement. Below is a quick experiment I did by applying Photoshop's Shadow/Highlight adjustment at default settings (which only adjusts the shadows). What do you reckon?
Cheers, David

Paul Burdett
08-26-2020, 06:28 AM
Hi David. Thanks so much for your edit. When I was editing this image I arrived at a similar stage to your edit, but decided to use a luminosity mask to reduce the highlights, as they looked a little blown out to me...the whites were almost 255. However, I may have reduced the whites a little too much, as your edit looks pretty good to me, but I still feel the highlights are a little too high above the Osprey's head and between the eyes. Perhaps a setting somewhere in the middle would be best. Thanks again David.

Daniel Cadieux
08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Wonderful head-on flight pose!! Nice and sharp. For the repost I kept the exposure as is, but added lots of reds and a bit of yellows to the subject, as well as reduced the cyans in hue-saturation. All to taste, but of course could be better, and onl offered as an option. I just felt the OP had too much of a blue cast.

Paul Burdett
08-26-2020, 03:59 PM
HI Daniel...looks good! Thanks so much...might go back to the raw file myself and "have a play". Cheers.