PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Heron Portrait

Daniel Cadieux
08-23-2020, 01:15 PM
As Gail alluded to in her GBH post recently, this species (especially adults) is quite difficult to approach here, often fleeing from within 100 yards or more. Juveniles, on the other hand, can usually tolerate closer approach (but not always!). This year, for some reason, has seen a few very accommodating adult individuals. This one here is one of the more beautiful specimens I've seen locally, with still lots of breeding colour to look at around the face area. What a privilege to photograph it from point-blank range!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/250s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, darkened the BG a bit to bring out the blues.

Brian Sump
08-23-2020, 06:32 PM
A real dandy Daniel. Congrats on getting this one up close!

Bird parallel to the lens makes for super detail across the frame, lovely orange and greens show well (and tie into the subtle bkg details also). Great choice on framing.

Nicely done.

David Roach
08-24-2020, 04:49 AM
Echoing Brian's thoughts and I also love the soft light. TFS

ps
More FF perfection...

John Mack
08-25-2020, 02:15 PM
Bang on portrait. Love the "S" the neck makes. Great detail on the bird as well. There are a couple in my local that will allow close approach with a vehicle. On foot forget it.