PDA

View Full Version : Fern And Waterfall

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Shooting a small waterfall and found this fern hanging and combine it with te falls as the BG.

Fuji S5, Sigma 180 macro, Tripod, f/8.

John Cooper
07-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Mike, very cool image - the varying lengths of the fern placed on the diagonal has lots of impact!! And the misty waterfall in the BG makes a superb backdrop - top shot!!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-07-2008, 03:33 AM
Lovely image Mike. Very very creative one. Full credits for seeing this. Agree with John with all that he's said.
Might just add one nit though - the OOF moss/plant in the right bottom corner is greenish & hence it lacks separation from the fern (the right-most fern). Was it possible to move a bit towards ur right & shoot so that there wud be visual separation between the righ-most fern & the BG...? Again am not sure about that b'coz, any change of angle will result in compromise of the placement of the ferns as shown now.
Arrghh .... difficult !

Mike Moats
07-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Hey Haushik, I agree the right side BG is the weak side of the image.I didn't really explore the angles on this as I was rushed for time and didn't even give alot of thought as I wasn't sure if the shot would work out, I'm sure with more time I could have explored more posibilities. Thanks.

Julie Kenward
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I love the overall image, Mike. The sharply detailed fern against the OOF water is very nice! I wouldn't mind seeing the one or two bright green spots on the bottom right side going away so the focus of my eye stayed on the fern and not the dark BG.

Your compositions really rock!

Mike Moats
07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey Julie, good point on the brite green spots, didn't notice them but will fix that right away.

Sharna Lee
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Mike,
Your images are always lovely to the eye. This one is no exception.
The water drops off the tips of the fern send this one over the top for me.
I love the waterfall bg as well. Excellent job of seeing and taking this one.

Sharna

Steve Wheeler
07-08-2008, 12:55 AM
You are the master Mike.... The force is defenity with you and that keen eye of yours. The light on the fern is perfect... The leaves really POP against that beautiful BG. Superb comp as per John's comments above.

Steve

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey Haushik, I agree the right side BG is the weak side of the image.I didn't really explore the angles on this as I was rushed for time and didn't even give alot of thought as I wasn't sure if the shot would work out, I'm sure with more time I could have explored more posibilities. Thanks.
Hey Mike,
When I saw the image and your comment.....man was I bummed. I still like the image......for me the bottom left is more distracting than the right.........but if you had more time to explore........there wouldn't be enough words to describe how much I liked it. The repeating ferns, lighting, and water drops.........all killer. Stll like it.....just dreaming of what could have been!