PDA

View Full Version : Red-browed Finch

Paul Burdett
08-22-2020, 04:53 AM
Spotted this red-browed Finch during a forest walk recently.

D500, PF lens, 1/160th sec, f6.3, iso500. Cheers.

David Roach
08-22-2020, 05:22 AM
Superb details and colors. Love the BG and the perch (even if a little big). TFS

Paul Burdett
08-22-2020, 05:58 AM
Thanks David...always appreciate your feedback.

gail bisson
08-22-2020, 10:04 AM
What a wonderful little bird.
I really like this frame- good BG, good parallel pose and head turn.
The perch is fine- just a bit big in diameter for the size of the bird but nothing you could do about that.
I would like a bit more added to the bottom- might help make the perch less big.
I would also decrease the brightness of the BG on the left side.
I have never seen this bird IRL so cannot comment on the reds.
Good frame,
Gail

John Mack
08-22-2020, 02:04 PM
I Can see where the name comes from. Love that red on the bird. A neat looking little bird. I like the pose and the background. Neat how the feet are gripping that big perch.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2020, 03:43 PM
Hey Paul,

Obviously mis-framed. There is much too much empty space left and above. Address in my repost along with some BKGR smoothing. Great bird, nice perch, and sweet BKGR along with the nice soft light. You could have done a much better job with the image design by moving the AF point ...

with love, artie

ps: and a fraction short on the head turn ...

Paul Burdett
08-22-2020, 06:31 PM
Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.
Artie: Thank you for taking the time to repost...looks better! Still learning "after all these years" (substitute "crazy"...as Paul Simon says...lol)

Arthur Morris
08-23-2020, 04:48 AM
Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions.
Artie: Thank you for taking the time to repost...looks better! Still learning "after all these years" (substitute "crazy"...as Paul Simon says...lol)

Believe it or not, both Simon and Garfunkel were fraternity brothers of me -- Alpha Epsilon Pi. Me at Brooklyn Polytechnic and then Brooklyn College, them at Queens College. The were heavily involved in something called Sing -- a sort of Broadway musical competition among fraternities and sororities -- guess who won three straight years?

with love, a

ps: YAW

Paul Burdett
08-23-2020, 06:28 AM
Cool info Artie. When I was in my early 20's I was in a bar here in Brisbane, ordering a drink. The guy next to me looked at me and called out..."your Art Garfunkel". I had curly hair and I must admit I did look like Art (as on the cover of the Bookends album) You wouldn't think so from looking at me now though...lol
BTW, I believe you taught primary school? I was a high school music teacher until I retired in 2016 (still do some relief teaching). Before that I taught classical guitar at various schools/colleges, as well as getting my BMus at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music in 1982. I've been playing classical guitar since 1974...before that I was in a few rock bands. Music was my life until I picked up my first dslr camera...a Canon 20D. (I did have an Olympus Trip many years ago...just happy snaps then).

Daniel Cadieux
08-23-2020, 10:03 AM
Artie has addressed the issues nicely, although having pointed your camera down and right at time of capture would have preserved the sizing of the subject in the frame. Very nice looking bird, I've seen these (and other finches) in pet shops and that saddens me. Great to them in the wild!

Paul Burdett
08-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Daniel. Suggestion noted with thanks. Yes...I was in a pet shop the other day, and there were these very small finches in cages there...sad indeed!