PDA

View Full Version : The Karate Kid - gannet style

Mike Poole
08-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Apologies, posted the wrong version a moment ago...

I always like trying to get something different at a repeat location - this time it was wing flaps and take off with this pose reminding me of the famous scene from the karate kid movie - made me smile if nothing else!

Nikon D5
600mm f4 + 1.4x
ISO 1600
1/2500th f10

errant bird removed from BG

Mike

John Mack
08-21-2020, 02:07 PM
Ah Mr. Miyagi, The pose is karate kid like for sure. Neat to see the feet here. A nice background. Detail on the bird looks great.

Brian Sump
08-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Ahhhhh, Daniel son......

Mike, love the title, love the pose, love the lighting.

Framing is very subjective but if you had the canvas I'd like to see a version with the bird a touch more left in frame and more runway (flyway) to the right.

Well done!

William Dickson
08-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Lovely frame Mike....I can feel the uplift...Love that foot just hovering above the grass. Great pose and nice whites. The BG looks good(was that Bempton) ...Looking at the crop, a wee bit difficult, as the bird is looking down with the wings also curved downwards. I would try a wee bit more on the RHS. But nice as is.

Will

Randy Stout
08-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Mike:

I absolutely see the Karate Kid stance. Just needs the one leg raised a bit higher!
I understand the framing comments made, but I find it has enough space on the right, and the clear view down into the lower right hand corner along the diagonal that works for me. As Brian mentioned, it is a personal thing.

Cheers

Randy

David Roach
08-22-2020, 05:35 AM
Love the EXP, cliff BG and of course the pose. Beautiful frame overall, and yes a little different. TFS

Paul Burdett
08-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Love everything about this image Mike...no nitpics from me. TFS

gail bisson
08-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Very very nice Mike.
I love the pose and the shape of the wings.
Lovely "perch" and sharpness spot on.
This is a tricky image to crop but I like your choice.
No one has mentioned this, but I find my eye pulled away from the gannet by the lighter patch of BG just above the forehead. I would paint that area green with a low opacity brush.
Well done,
Gail

Bretoteanu Dan
08-22-2020, 12:41 PM
NIce title:) and image. You captured a really good pose, with the raised wings and the slightly raised left foot, which conweys the ideea of movement. The dark BH just brings out the detail in the white feathers and the FG is cropped wery well.

Daniel Cadieux
08-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Lol, I've been called "Daniel son" so many times growing up, especially during the height of that movie's popularity! Nice unique pose here:c3:

Robert Kimbrell
08-25-2020, 03:46 PM
Like the details and exposure in the whites. A splendid pose you captured. Again the title fits.