PDA

View Full Version : Spoonbill in Flamingo

Paul Marcellini
01-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Was kayaking today and chasing the birds in between taking casts. This was the best due to the sun angles and even though its a bit side-lit, I liked it. Significant crop from horizontal, I left a bit more to see what other crop ideas, or any comments you guys had. I was thinking maybe a centered vertical pano. On the fence about the mangroves.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

20d
100-400@400
iso200
f5.6
av +1/3 highlights multiplied in ps and opacity lowered to taste.

http://i15.tinypic.com/6ue6jxl.jpg

Fabs Forns
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Paul,

This would be my preferred crop, although you say it is a big crop as it was.

Did you have to multiply because it was a little overexposed? I would think you would need to compensate minus for this, unless there was not much light.

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I like the suggested crop Paul !!!! Can only imagine on sun angle !!! ....lot of things going on the kayak Must be fun !!!!

Michael Pancier
01-09-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm having a spoon attack. Was this near the Lake west of flamingo marina?

Paul Marcellini
01-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks Fabs. I was pushing exposure to try and get as much detail in the shadowed side. None of the highlights blew but multiply is a little trick I like for many shots. Cropped as is, I only have 1450x1800 pixels.

Al. yes a lot going on. Sometimes frustrating but if I can get it down in a kayak, it should only be easier on land.

Michael, it was in Snake Bight, about 1 1/5 - miles east from the marina. The whole areas loads up with birds at low tide.

Judd Patterson
01-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Fine image Paul. I love Fabs crop idea, specifically where she put the spoonbill off to the left side. In your image the bird might be a bit too centered for the particular glance that he was giving. It's great to hear that you were kayaking around Snake Bight. That is big on my list of things to try, but I am brand new to kayaking. Did you rent down at Flamingo or bring your own? Is it a big endeavor to get over to Snake Bight or could a newbie do it without getting stuck, eaten by a shark, etc? ;)

Paul Marcellini
01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Judd, I have my own, 2 actually, if you ever wanted to go. Its not too far and most of the trip is over 2-3 ft of water at most. I went on a falling tide so it was like paddling upstream a lot but I was there and back with fishing and pictures in between from about 6:30-11:00.