PDA

View Full Version : Just before we're done...

David Roach
08-18-2020, 03:58 PM
EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f2.8 1/500 ISO 500 HH, Manual EXP

After the closer session, I reverse army crawled back some on the steep bank and sat up for possible flight image. Just as I got up this beauty posed like flight was coming. Grabbed this image and then spun the ISO to 1600 and was still spinning the shutter speed when, well you know.... Should have set for flight before sitting up... This view was my only consolation.

Arthur Morris
08-19-2020, 05:30 AM
Love the image design and the brush stroke background! You might want to evict the mangrove seed (?) on the lower-right frame-edge ...

with love, artie

ps: how is the R for flight?

David Roach
08-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Love the image design and the brush stroke background! You might want to evict the mangrove seed (?) on the lower-right frame-edge ...

with love, artie

ps: how is the R for flight?

Hi Artie, Since all the AF firmware improvements it is much better but they can't fix/improve the screen blackout without a faster processor. So, you learn with practice to deal with it by pointing further ahead and anticipating the speed. I just posted a gull ("Just gliding by") further down the page. Plus much easier to deal with @200mm. It really doesn't matter as any Canon wildlife stills shooter now has the option of the R5 or R6 putting Canon on par (AF and IBIS wise) with Sony by all early accounts. The processor in the 1DX III, R5 and R6 is 10x faster than the R's and all have very much improved the lag. This is a large crop and the RF glass is amazing. Waiting on my pre-ordered RF 100-500 and 1.4x TC. It follows same design as this RF 70-200 with dual motors moving less glass than EF version. The EF 70-200 III is lightning fast and the RF even faster than that. With Canon's latest release, they have arrived on the wildlife mirrorless scene. One more time, the EF to RF converter works flawlessly and all EF lenses work the same, if not better (better AF screen coverage and low light performance) with R systems. Nikon will also have to quickly improve on the mirrorless side and I'm sure they will. Now that R5 and R6 is reaching the hands of wildlife photographers, extensive testing will be done soon.

Krishna Prasad kotti
08-19-2020, 10:12 AM
Nice Frame. I like the background colors.
Agree with cloning the foreground mangrove in Foreground.
TFS

Brian Sump
08-19-2020, 04:19 PM
David, bird really pops of the canvas here!

Wondering if you did cloning on the bkg? It just looks 'messy' for lack of a better word, as if it had some cloning or stamping involved. Maybe it's just one of those crazy frames where the bkg has this unique effect. Or maybe it was a denoise process or something?

Only thing I might do other than suggestions above is to try to smooth it a bit, but that could be a crapshoot.

Fun series with this beautie!

David Roach
08-19-2020, 05:46 PM

Wondering if you did cloning on the bkg? It just looks 'messy' for lack of a better word, as if it had some cloning or stamping involved. Maybe it's just one of those crazy frames where the bkg has this unique effect. Or maybe it was a denoise process or something?

Only thing I might do other than suggestions above is to try to smooth it a bit, but that could be a crapshoot.

Hi Brian, No cloning or denoise, just burning of bright spots. It is actually a combination of reflection colors (more reflection closer to the top) at surface plus the actual underwater vegetation as the water is clear. This is because of the down angle from the steep bank. You can clearly see the vegetation right in front of the limestone outcrop and directly behind the bird but as the focus falls off further back and the reflections also bring some patterns in this further OOF area. There was just a couple of small things at surface that I used healing brush on but that is not the culprit. Once I burned the bright spots perhaps a gradient would smooth a little but I went with it as is.
As always everyone's valued comments appreciated. Please keep them coming. And, Brian, you didn't even need a bird on that cool perch in your last post. Looking forward to more...

Brian Sump
08-19-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi Brian, No cloning or denoise, just burning of bright spots. It is actually a combination of reflection colors (more reflection closer to the top) at surface plus the actual underwater vegetation as the water is clear. This is because of the down angle from the steep bank. You can clearly see the vegetation right in front of the limestone outcrop and directly behind the bird but as the focus falls off further back and the reflections also bring some patterns in this further OOF area. There was just a couple of small things at surface that I used healing brush on but that is not the culprit. Once I burned the bright spots perhaps a gradient would smooth a little but I went with it as is.
As always everyone's valued comments appreciated. Please keep them coming. And, Brian, you didn't even need a bird on that cool perch in your last post. Looking forward to more...

Makes sense to me David. And thanks for the kind words, I am going to keep shooting species there during the summer to try to make the most of that flora!

William Dickson
08-20-2020, 09:42 AM
You cropped it well David...The bird and perch fit nicely there. Love the colours and pose on the bird.

Will

John Mack
08-20-2020, 02:14 PM
This setting is great for this bird. Really digging those colors. A nice frame for sure.

Bretoteanu Dan
08-21-2020, 11:44 AM
I really like the tense position of the heron, he's like a coiled spring. The perch and its reflection are nice as well, plus the reflection in the water. The dark BG just emphasizes the color of the heron.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2020, 03:24 PM
David,

Thanks for the info. From whom did you pre-order your new gear? No R5 for you???

with love, artie

Arthur Morris
08-22-2020, 03:25 PM

Wesley,

One man's messy cloning is another man's brush strokes ...

with love, Arie

Brian Sump
08-22-2020, 04:38 PM
Wesley,

One man's messy cloning is another man's brush strokes ...

with love, Arie

Of course. Now that I understand better what's going on it's definitely easier to appreciate.

David Roach
08-22-2020, 04:45 PM
David,

Thanks for the info. From whom did you pre-order your new gear? No R5 for you???

with love, artie

Hi Artie,
I pre-ordered the 100-500 and RF 1.4xtc from Adorama and it has not shipped yet. I am waiting on full reviews on next body. I will tell you one thing, the RF glass is going to make a difference I have three now and they are all superb. I love the low light performance of the R with RF glass especially. Also with the RF 70-200 the resolving power gives great IQ even with less pixels. So, I'm leaning toward the R6 (for even better low light performance over R and R5 and best in industry) but will wait to order. EF glass will work better on an R body. Unfortunately , I only have 15 year old EF glass where TCs are less than optimal. I'm sure Sony will continue to move forward as well. Great times for mirrorless users.
Peace,
David

Arthur Morris
09-05-2020, 04:48 AM
Hi Artie,
I pre-ordered the 100-500 and RF 1.4xtc from Adorama and it has not shipped yet. I am waiting on full reviews on next body. I will tell you one thing, the RF glass is going to make a difference I have three now and they are all superb. I love the low light performance of the R with RF glass especially. Also with the RF 70-200 the resolving power gives great IQ even with less pixels. So, I'm leaning toward the R6 (for even better low light performance over R and R5 and best in industry) but will wait to order. EF glass will work better on an R body. Unfortunately , I only have 15 year old EF glass where TCs are less than optimal. I'm sure Sony will continue to move forward as well. Great times for mirrorless users.
Peace,
David

Thanks. Please shoot me an e-mail at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

with love, a