PDA

View Full Version : What's Up Tiger Lily

Ed Vatza
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Image made this morning along the Lehigh Canal in Bethlehem, PA. I was determined to work on opening up the aperture. I didn't end up doing much at f/2.8 but every image that I made this morning was at f/3.5 to f/8.

Conditions overcast.

Canon 30D; 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens with 500D close-up lens. Handheld.

1/250 sec at f/5.6; ISO 400; 0 EV; FL 200mm; Natural light.

John Cooper
07-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I like you selective focus technique here Ed. The sharp focus on most of the stamens is a central point for ones eye to rest. I wish though that all of the stamens were sharp.

Julie Kenward
07-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Ed, welcome to the wide side! I even like how the OOF front leaf balances out the OOF back leaf. Gorgeous color and compo, too!

Kaushik Balakumar
07-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I am a fan of low DOF too. U can make many creative images with shallow DOFs.
Keep 'em coming...

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Hey Ed,
You know i don't venture wide open often.....I find the stamen and BG petals very nice..........but the OOF front one does bother me. I'm starting to think that it's just my own personal taste thing on the shallow DOF. Exposure is dead on!

Ed Vatza
07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
John, Julie, Kaushik, Roman,

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and for your comments and feedback. Much appreciated.

I must admit that I really like many of the images I see here made with wide open apertures. Few of mine turn out like I think they should but this one did. I actually like the way the the soft petals front and back set off the stamens. But I always like to hear what others think and continue to learn from the comments.