PDA

View Full Version : is it all over?

John Chardine
07-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Just when I thought summer had begun here in the Maritimes, I saw Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs on their southward migration today in the Sackville Waterfowl Park. This can only mean one thing- fall is coming! Soon the 100,000s of Semipalmated Sandpipers and phalaropes will be moving through the region (starting mid-July). The photography will be fun but it is lamentable that we have such a short summer season.

I will be able to get a lot closer to these birds later in the year but here's one from today, which was quite some distance from me.

40D, 500mm f4, 1.4 tcII
capture date: Sunday, July 6, 2008 8:55:58 AM
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/800
aperture: f5.6
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
light source: Auto
flash: ON - Beamer, manual full power, FP synch (however, little effect, too far away)

Paul Lagasi
07-07-2008, 01:51 AM
LoL...John a winter like last year I could do without for the rest of my life, but remember, its always summer or warmer someplace. Just what the doctor ordered..get away for a while, Florida, Texas, Arizona, Costa Rica.. etc...always new, always different. At my stage of life winter travel is a must, see how the other half lives. With 29 countries (only behind my daughter by 28), 38 states and 10 provinces under my belt there's always going ot be somewhere I haven't been birding yet. As long as I can drive or fly, my wife and I, we always plan a trip somewhere. Paul

Daniel Cadieux
07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Yes, shorebirds do have a different sense of the seasons don't they? But it's far from over...I've just spent a week photographing nesting warblers. Eastern Kingbirds and other flycatchers are just now fledging, Goldfinches and Waxwings have yet to nest...heck, even a few species of flowers in the garden have yet to bloom and the first tomatoes are just beginnig to ripen! I guess you know all this, but I'm just finding excuses to ignore the inevitable :-) The days are already getting shorter and we'll be hearing "Back to school" commercials any day now...omens to what is soon just around the corner.

I have to admit though that I look forward to shorebird "fall" migration every year. Always fun to photograph these guys. If you do look on the bright side there there is only about 8 months for the first spring migrants to start arriving!!