PDA

View Full Version : Just gliding by...

David Roach
08-14-2020, 12:44 PM
EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f4 1/4000 ISO 800 HH, Manual EXP

Going stir crazy while trying to stay safe, decided to try a local fishing pier hoping it wouldn't be crowded on a week night. There was a smattering of people fishing with plenty of room to keep social distance and surprisingly masks were used by just about all. I spent a wonderful couple of end day hours just taking in the sea breeze. On this evening the western sky was clear and the usual colors were reflected in the eastern sky. I wanted to try my first telephoto range RF glass for flight images even though the EOS R, with terrible EVF blackout, can make it difficult. Well, even with the fishers pulling in plenty, no gulls, no terns, not even pelicans on this evening (within range of my 200mm zoom). Only comical molting boat tail grackles trying to steal everyone's bait. Then, about 15 minutes before sunset with wonderful clouds to the east, this lone young laughing gull glided closely by. A small cherry on top of a wonderful evening...

Jonathan Ashton
08-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Sond like the sort of evening I would enjoy too!. Details and tones on the bird look good. the sky is fine though I find it optically a little bright but this could be because my study is dimly lit.

William Dickson
08-14-2020, 03:51 PM
I feel that it is over exposed slightly. Nice BG, If you have the canvas, I would move the bird just left of centre. Less exposure I'm sure would bring out more detail on that lovely fanned tail.

Will

Paul Burdett
08-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Hi David: Very nice indeed. Looks like a blown out area on the tail, but I like the high key BG. The pier I go to 15 mins from my house sounds similar to the one you describe...quite a few fisher-people (lol...to be politically correct) there...all being aware of social distancing. As you say, it's a nice place to spend a few afternoon hours at. Cheers.

John Mack
08-14-2020, 08:14 PM
Works well small in the frame. I like the position of the bird in the frame. Love the high key.

David Roach
08-14-2020, 08:24 PM
Sond like the sort of evening I would enjoy too!. Details and tones on the bird look good. the sky is fine though I find it optically a little bright but this could be because my study is dimly lit.

Thank you everyone for your valued comments as always. My spyder 5 pro always makes me pull down brightness due to the ambient light at my station and I just calibrated before processing this image. The original looks good to me on my fresh calibration and with my screen and ambiant light but to all who needed sunglasses to view I pulled it slightly further down from ETTR. Hopefully that helps.

Joseph Przybyla
08-15-2020, 08:08 AM
Hi David, I like the gull, love the background. I think the repost is better bringing out the tones in the background. If mine I might try rotating the gull counter clockwise it appears to be flying down but maybe that is how it was. Thank you for sharing.