PDA

View Full Version : Contemplate

Brian Sump
08-12-2020, 07:22 PM

This wise old sap (GBH) appeared to be reflecting on a life [hopefully] well-lived.

Captured in my favorite Avocet and Killdeer spot, I enjoyed the tucked perch amongst the lush foliage. Perhaps you will too.

D850
600mm+1.4x
Handheld
ISO 1000
1/4000
f5.6

LR and PS, pretty much as it was captured with some crop.

Randy Stout
08-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Brian;

Nicely exposed, good head angle, bg is really nice, goes well with bird.

Generally would suggest a bit more below, to show the likely location of the feet (kind of virtual feet). But, sometimes the quality of the foreground in such situations is worse than the loss of the virtual feet.

Like the breeze blowing the plumage.

Cheers

Randy

Brian Sump
08-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Brian;

Nicely exposed, good head angle, bg is really nice, goes well with bird.

Generally would suggest a bit more below, to show the likely location of the feet (kind of virtual feet). But, sometimes the quality of the foreground in such situations is worse than the loss of the virtual feet.

Like the breeze blowing the plumage.

Cheers

Randy

Thank you Randy.

Yes I understand the room for v-feet concept. While this is in fact the bottom of the frame, it felt like enough room to me but more canvas could be added certainly.

David Roach
08-13-2020, 02:44 AM
Yep, looks like an old sage. Did you try horizontal? Details look great. TFS

Mike Poole
08-13-2020, 04:09 AM
I agree with a little more for the virtual feet, but other than that this is a nice frame. Good shooting and head angles, nice details, good work

Mike

Joseph Przybyla
08-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Hi Brian, soft light, perfect background, beautiful bird, all work together for a lovely image. Virtual feet noted, but it would just have meant more grass at the bottom. Maybe carefully you can add more canvas. Thank you for sharing.

Brian Sump
08-13-2020, 02:07 PM
David - Vertical? Yeah I did. Tried several but couldn't find one that was as pleasing as this one. If the beak were shorter I think it could looked better.

Mike and Joe, thank you for chiming in and the worthwhile comments!

PS - Joe, definitely thought of you on this one. Lots of good GBH in your files.

Daniel Cadieux
08-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Nice BG and excellent details on the heron. My instinct would have been for in-camera verticals, but I see you tried those too. I do wish for a bit more below though, as the virtual feet could be just about clipped and definitely do not have enough "virtual room" between them and the border. Too bad its' bill was not wet to hide the dried and peeling layer on the bill. I'm just being picky though - this is a handsome fella! All else looks great...

Brian Sump
08-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Nice BG and excellent details on the heron. My instinct would have been for in-camera verticals, but I see you tried those too. I do wish for a bit more below though, as the virtual feet could be just about clipped and definitely do not have enough "virtual room" between them and the border. Too bad its' bill was not wet to hide the dried and peeling layer on the bill. I'm just being picky though - this is a handsome fella! All else looks great...

Appreciate the feedback Daniel!

Paul Burdett
08-14-2020, 06:37 PM
No nitpics from me Brian. Love the detail on the Heron, and the rising green FG foliage. The BG works a treat too. Cheers.

John Mack
08-14-2020, 08:02 PM
I like the setting the pose and the light. The only nit i have is move the bird to the left more. Great background.

Brian Sump
08-14-2020, 10:17 PM
Paul and John, thanks for chiming in!

gail bisson
08-15-2020, 11:20 AM
I am very late to the party.
Everything is good- light, subject, IQ and BG.
Hate to say this again (as other posters have already said this) but you do need more room below,
Gail
PS You did not blow out the whites on the "chin" so you get bonus points for that!:bg3: