PDA

View Full Version : Moonset

Robert Kimbrell
08-06-2020, 05:43 PM
1dx, 600f4 and 1.4
1/1250, F6.3 ISO 800
I am lucky enough to have an eagle nest close that has been active for nearly a decade now. One of my early favorite images was a simple eagle/moon silhouette. I have been trying to better it for years without success. Here is one of my attempts from 2018. with the Canon gear.

Randy Stout
08-06-2020, 08:05 PM
Robert:

I knew from the thumbnail that I was going to like it! Nice juxtaposition, nicely exposed, fun perch. I wonder if over the years you have tried a smaller f/stop to get a bit more detail in the moon? Perhaps not possible to get much more, depending on your distance from the bird, etc. I could also see a bit of crop from the left, to convert it more to a vertical, because of the orientation of the tree and position so far to the right. Just a possibility.

Cheers

Randy

David Roach
08-07-2020, 11:22 AM
Well worth the effort, my friend. Perfect dead snag as perch and love the moon placement in the frame. You better be living right to get a better view than this... TFS

Brian Sump
08-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Robert, for me the frame is unique, artistic and produced a very strong initial reaction. I personally like the choice of composition here, although there are probably other options.

The only feedback I could offer is that there is a pretty strong magenta hue on the eagle and the tree. However, in an early/late sun position capture I am hesitant to make generalizations because the sun and clouds can create unique effects... and of course, none of us were there to see it live. Just something to consider. Perhaps also clone that red blob on the trunk just to the right of the subject.

Great work here from my seat!

Paul Burdett
08-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Robert: I love everything about this highly artistic image...I do agree with Randy that a little more moon detail would add to the success of this image. no other nit pics...I'd hang this on my wall if it were mine! TFS

Robert Kimbrell
08-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and feed back. I have tried stopping down and have found it only has minimal effect on bringing the moon into focus. Also the IQ deteriorates past F 16. Although I have lined up this Eagle with the moon many times, branches and pine needles are typically in the way. It was a rate treat to get her on this perch.

Daniel Cadieux
08-08-2020, 09:52 AM
I love it!! Even the branch above and below the eagle are perfectly framed within the moon. Excellent head angle. The only thing that would make it better is no shadow on the branch directly behind the eagle - but who's to complain as this is fantastic.

Randy Stout
08-10-2020, 06:48 AM
Thanks to all for the comments and feed back. I have tried stopping down and have found it only has minimal effect on bringing the moon into focus. Also the IQ deteriorates past F 16. Although I have lined up this Eagle with the moon many times, branches and pine needles are typically in the way. It was a rate treat to get her on this perch.

I am not surprised about not being able to get more detail in the moon, but glad you tried! How far away from the eagle are you approximately?

Randy

Robert Kimbrell
08-10-2020, 07:37 PM
I am not surprised about not being able to get more detail in the moon, but glad you tried! How far away from the eagle are you approximately?

Randy

Randy, I was wondering that myself. The distance is dramatically further than what I would normally shoot. Google maps measures that fence we shoot from at ~ 185 feet. That would make the shot above ~ 300 feet.
Robert

John Mack
08-12-2020, 07:38 PM
I love this frame. I would be over the moon to have something like this. Works on all accounts.

Arthur Morris
08-22-2020, 04:49 AM
Excellente! I can't believe that Dan noted the only thing that bugged me. I love the image design as presented. And as noted above, the head angle makes the shot. Not to mention your perfect choice of perspective!

with love, a

haseeb badar
08-25-2020, 06:37 AM
Fantastic image, simply loved it. Loved the framing, colours and the light.

Very nicely done.