PDA

View Full Version : American Redstart In The Beginnings Of Nest Building.

Daniel Cadieux
08-05-2020, 11:20 AM
Just when most all other birds had finished nesting season, this ambitious female American Redstart was just beginning her's. No doubt a second brood, or a restart from a previous failed attempt. In any regards, it was a privilege to watch her weave materials together to form the foundation of the nest. For those that are curious, I also took the time to create a few short videos of the behaviour (here's where a tripod would have been useful, but still not too bad lol). Link to the best video found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQ5gBJ_vz4

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/125s., f/5.6, ISO 3200, natural light, handheld, cropped to help the comp, NR to the BG.

Randy Stout
08-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Daniel:

Nice early construction phase. Looks like a mix of materials! The branch frames the action nicely, BG soft enough, well exposed with good handling of the noise. I am curious how long it will take her to build the nest. Will you be able to revisit the site?

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
08-05-2020, 06:19 PM
Nice image, story, video, and especially head angle :). Me-thinks that sshe will not be fledging any chicks this year, but good practice with the nest building.

with love, a

Brian Sump
08-05-2020, 11:50 PM
Great biological insight Daniel, enjoyed that part and the story is equally as nice as the frame.

TFS

David Roach
08-06-2020, 04:20 AM
Very nice of her to give this demonstration. Great story, image (of course) and video. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
08-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Thanks guys.

Randy, I was able to go back the next week and she was sitting on eggs in her completed nest. Next thread! :S3: