PDA

View Full Version : Eurasian Golden Plover

Bill Dix
08-03-2020, 10:41 AM
While exploring a remote road on a hillside near Lake Myvatn (Iceland) we came across this guy, his golden spangled plumage nicely lit up by the lovely late afternoon light. From July, 2016.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1000, 1/2500s @ f/7.1 manual.

David Roach
08-03-2020, 10:57 AM
Sweet lovely light, pose and environment. I also love the side light and shadows. Looks like you could coax a little more out of the shadows on the bird but love this canvas as is. TFS

ps
Golden indeed...

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2020, 11:08 AM
This is very nice Bill, the calling pose is beautiful. The low POV works really well and I like the habitat and placement. My only thought is that is appears quite dark overall.

TFS
Steve

Bill Dix
08-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Thanks David and Steve. Here I've used Curves to brighten the entire scene, with a little extra dodging on the aft end of the bird. Not sure whether the OP or the RP more accurately reflects the scene as I remember it, but the bit of brightening probably helps.

Steve Kaluski
08-03-2020, 01:10 PM
Hi Bill, certainly better and you are getting to see more within the image.

Not sure whether the OP or the RP more accurately reflects the scene as I remember it, but the bit of brightening probably helps.

This is always the tricky part and a dilemma we all face I think Bill and occasionally we may stray from the original to make the subject look better and open up the image a bit more to show the subject off at it's best, which I think is acceptable. Therefore, and it is just an option, but opening up more of the darks/shadows and to gain a bit more separation between environment and subject may create more depth of detail and lift the subject from the backdrop, but still being mindful of the scene. The only areas that do need to be thought about are those whites and some additional dodging may be required. You do have some nice detail slightly hidden in that eye.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-03-2020, 02:04 PM
I remember this late afternoon investigating that hillside road as if it were yesterday. We were following at least two Plovers, as we crouched behind what low cover available, which was tough because they would run up and down shallow ravines, dart behind small bushy branches, and in and out of shadows. Your original post shows what the light actually looked like. In any event the detail is great, with the wonderful Icelandic habitat underfoot and in the background.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Robert Kimbrell
08-03-2020, 05:27 PM
A very nice scene Bill. The colors look great. I like the way the foreground grass do not obstruct the view and fall off so nicely to a pleasing background. A stunning little bird. I prefer the repost.

Randy Stout
08-04-2020, 07:58 AM
Bill:

Very nice frame, do prefer the repost. The angle of the lighting really helps add depth to the feathers , nice pose, good POV.

Like the detail of the encounter that Geoffrey added.

As a fun aside. While typing, a Great Blue Heron flew past my window over the lake. Our birds are a source of joy in these difficult times.

Randy

Mike Poole
08-04-2020, 05:22 PM
I love these little birds, great colours at this time of year. I think if you just brightened the eye a little then the OP would work best. Shooting POV is perfect and I really like the calling pose as an added extra

Mike

Brian Sump
08-04-2020, 11:14 PM
Bill, nice frame of this subject in a natural habitat. The little yellow blooms in front of the Plover is perfectly placed IMO and the call is always a plus.

Good comments above. Agreed that the repost is better regardless of lighting and a touch to the eye as Mike said might also help.

Bill Dix
08-06-2020, 09:21 AM
Thank you all. For me, the eye looks just about right, with just enough distinction between iris and pupil. But to each his own.