PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Skimming

susanschermer
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Fort de Soto last month. I wanted the trail in the water behind the skimmer. I don't know if it could have been achieved along with a better head angle. Maybe my timing was a bit off. Anyway, what do you think?
Mark III, 500f4+1.4, ISO 400, 1/1600 @f6.3

Axel Hildebrandt
07-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I like the pose and water trail and would have preferred if the skimmer would have flown toward you. The BG looks a bit noisy. Did you sharpen it?

susanschermer
07-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes, Axel. It is sharpened, but I didn't do any noise reduction. I can always fix that.

WIlliam Maroldo
07-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Having posted several skimmer feeding images, and having photographed many more, I too have received the "wish it were flying toward you" critique. I am in general agreement with this idea for most other birds, except the skimmer. The unique thing about the skimmer is the trail it leaves in the water, in my opinion, and the best way to see it is from a somewhat rear view of the bird. It is simply not as visible from other vantage points. About your image: I wish there were no sand in the foreground. I like the birds position, and trail, although I wish it were longer in the image. Sharpening halo visible on my monitor.Overall, a very good image~onlybill

Axel Hildebrandt
07-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Yes, Axel. It is sharpened, but I didn't do any noise reduction. I can always fix that.

I just noticed that I was not very clear. What I meant to ask is did you sharpen the entire image or the skimmer only. I'm wondering because the Mark III is almost noise free at ISO 400.

Alfred Forns
07-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi Susan I like it The going away does not bother me much but would rather have a longer wake? The bg does look peculiar and agree it should be noise free at that setting. Your exposure settings look good so I don't think you had to open up at all !!! Excellent image !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
07-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Way to go Susan. Not easy images to capture of these guys skimming and you did a great job. Your exposure looks good and nice detail in the blacks.

Daniel Cadieux
07-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Good job at photographing the Skimmer doing what it is reknowned for. The lone dark spot behind the bird bothers me somewhat, but it can be easily removed via cloning or QM.

Stephen Stephen
07-07-2008, 06:15 AM
Susan nice capture of a bird I've yet to see. I like this perspective where the trail is clearly visible.