PDA

View Full Version : straight at ya... skimmer incoming

annmpacheco
07-30-2020, 05:55 PM
I've chosen not to travel to Nickerson this year so i went back to my outing last year at this time "digitally" and processed this one. This is full frame. I had a great time shooting with fellow BPN'erzzz Bill Dix and Geoffrey Montague.

D5
850mm
HH

ISO 1600
1/2500

dankearl
07-30-2020, 07:06 PM
Pretty cool to get the beak so dead on it almost disappears....tough head on shot... I would maybe try to darken the sliver beak just a tad.
Maybe also brighten the crescent catchlights.

David Roach
07-30-2020, 10:16 PM
Cool pose and environment. Agree on bringing eyes out a little more. Love it as is though. TFS

arash_hazeghi
07-30-2020, 10:58 PM
I like the HA view and the nice BG. I am not seeing much detail in the whites on my screen, were they blown in RAW?

TFS

annmpacheco
07-31-2020, 09:51 AM
I like the HA view and the nice BG. I am not seeing much detail in the whites on my screen, were they blown in RAW?

TFS
Thank you Arash, RAW whites are not blown but not much detail as you noted.

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Well done. Very nice shot.

I remember a similar shot of yours in Audubon Top 100.

TFS

Geoffrey Montagu
07-31-2020, 12:40 PM
This is simply a neat capture, Ann. I especially like that the subtle feather and body adjustments that happen in a micro second, you've managed to show this beautifully in a still capture. Love the head tilt right toward you. Great fun capturing images with you Ann. The three of us had a super time.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

William Dickson
07-31-2020, 04:39 PM
Loving the 3D effect here....Those grasses sure make for a great BG. I really like the flight pose. The whites against the blacks with the red boost at the bill work real good. Loving the fanned tail.

Well done Ann

Will

Brian Sump
07-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Just a super frame Ann. FF on a subject like this is impressive!

I was told in a previous Killdeer shot by certain members that head on doesn't work when the eyes are off to the side. Obviously that's subjective. To me it doesn't matter, especially because we can see the eyes by way of the lighting on the edges.

You did well here afa I'm concerned. Maybe a bit more detail in the whites but still sweet.

gail bisson
08-01-2020, 09:25 AM
I am very late to the party but love this head on view of the incoming skimmer.
Great colors in the image.
Issue with details in the whites noted but a very minor issue.
Great frame!
Gail

Bill Dix
08-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Hi Ann. I was just saying to Joanne that you, Geoffrey and I were at Nickerson on this date a year ago, and wishing I were back again. But alas I also chose not to go this year. We did indeed have a great time and some good birds. Great frame. In addition to all the positives above, what amazes me is that you hand-held the big lens steady enough, with this guy coming straight at you, to avoid clipping a wingtip. And congrats on the Audubon Top 100 selection! (I submitted several from that day's shoot: I'm sure they must have been #101 and 102. :w3)