PDA

View Full Version : THEME: australian black swan in FL, (not a rare bird alert, captive on a lake)

annmpacheco
07-27-2020, 11:55 AM
Despite being a "domesticated" swan, it was my only opportunity to photograph this lovely creature. I remember quite well how much duck poo covered me after getting up from my prone position. Never the less, this is full frame and I added bout an inch of canvas to the top. I like the colorful BG from the buildings in the BG to contrast the black swan.

1Dx
600mm

ISO 800
1/3200

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-27-2020, 01:52 PM
I like the colors and wing position. I saw one last year at Lake Morton.
I thought all the black swans in FL were wild

Where was this taken ?

TFS

annmpacheco
07-27-2020, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Krishna Prasad kotti;1241863]I like the colors and wing position. I saw one last year at Lake Morton.
I thought all the black swans in FL were wild

Where was this taken ?
Krishna, This swan was photographed at Lake Morton. Captive in the sense they didn't migrate here from Australia and they "stay" at the Lake. Sadly, two swans were killed this last March, one from Lake Morton and the other from Mirror Lake by vehicles, in the same week. One of the swans was a rare female black-necked swan and had recently laid five eggs. There are reports that in May, one cygnet was born and is being raised to eventually be released on Lake Morton.

Brian Sump
07-27-2020, 07:32 PM
Ann, congrats on a fine Black Swan capture. Excellent details in the blacks, wing position is killer and the look-back eye contact equally so.

It may have been ideal to have some room below for the feet (virtual feet as it was termed on BPN) but hard to argue with a full frame capture. I bet you could add some below but would take some work.

Look forward to more....

arash_hazeghi
07-27-2020, 11:16 PM
nice pose and details, I like the light, the image would have been killer with the wings fully stretched out

TFS

annmpacheco
07-28-2020, 11:49 AM
I have em but missing the tip... full frame bummer!

gail bisson
07-28-2020, 12:14 PM
Great pose Ann. Nice and sharp. Perfect HA.
I see some brown in those black feathers. Not sure if that is the way it was?
Agree on a bit more room at the bottom.
Nice one!
Gail

annmpacheco
07-28-2020, 07:52 PM
Great pose Ann. Nice and sharp. Perfect HA.
I see some brown in those black feathers. Not sure if that is the way it was?
Agree on a bit more room at the bottom.
Nice one!
Gail
Hi Gail, I went back to the progression of the RAW burst and the "brown" feathers you refer to are accurate. The sun really lit them that way and they of course get darker as they become shadowed... The RAW adjustment had some dark shadowed spots on the neck and so increased shadows by 21, increase exp by.20 and increased blacks by 7. I also warmed the image a bit from 4900 to 5100. With the adjustments my goal was to not have any blocked blacks and of course to not blow any wing tip whites... I tried adding canvas below and it can be done before it begins to copy the rippled water ring. I learned a valuable lesson, give more room to such a large bird in case they decide to bathe. Thanks