PDA

View Full Version : Mullein Dancer

Brian Sump
07-21-2020, 07:37 PM

Captured at Red Rocks right near the amphitheater.

Didn't have a bunch of light to work with so had to massage this a bit. Worked hard to ensure no color casts so please let me know if it looks off to you.

Oh and I left the small feather on the tip of the beak for fun.

D850
600mm+1.4
Handheld
ISO 1600
1/800
f5.6

LR and PS, DNAI. Cloned a couple blurred grasses in bkg.

Randy Stout
07-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Brian:

This is excellent. Nice dof to have the entire bird in focus, and most of the perch. Nice head angle.
Good background with just enough detail to provide some sense of depth.
Composition works very well.

I really was not struck by any objectionable color cast as posted

Congrats !

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2020, 05:03 AM
This looks good to me too, colours are fine and the detail is all there. Composition is good.

I do not see what is to be gained by posting images that are so tall in terms of pixels. I must be missing something or do you have enormous screens over there? How do you view images that are so tall???

Randy Stout
07-22-2020, 05:55 AM
Brian:

I do agree with Jon about the height of the image. I stick with 1200 on the vertical axis to avoid everyone having to scroll up and down to see the entire image. I use a 27" iMac and do have to scroll for your image size. 1600 on the horizontal axis works ok.

Randy

David Roach
07-22-2020, 07:48 AM
Pretty much perfect. TFS

gail bisson
07-22-2020, 07:59 AM
This is beautiful!
BG is perfect, great DOF, great perch, no color cast and perfect lookback.
Absolutely no nits from me,
Gail

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Jon and Randy, I simply use the max allowable size for the sake of critique. Assumed the larger size gives a better review of fine details in the image?

When this happens to me I right click to view in new window just to get the feel of the overall composition.

Never put much thought into it but figured there was a reason 1600px was the vertical limit [shrug] If it does more harm than good I suppose I could post further downsized images but quality would likely coincide?

Randy Stout
07-22-2020, 08:52 AM
Brian:

Your choice, but as someone who views a lot of images on BPN, I find the workflow easier with 1200 max on the vertical axis. Still shows plenty of detail for my needs.

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Brian it boils down to this, to see the image in all its beauty at 1600px tall is impossible for most people. It is possible to go Ctl- and reduce but then we would not be looking at the image you prepared, equally in PS a larger image may be accommodated but I doubt many could see the image in it's entirety.
To look at an enormous image close up is not easy, I don't think there is anything significant to be gained, resolution may be higher but how much of an increase would we perceive at a normal viewing distance when eyes are constantly on the move?

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 09:23 AM
Copy that. Thanks guys

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 09:24 AM
This is beautiful!
BG is perfect, great DOF, great perch, no color cast and perfect lookback.
Absolutely no nits from me,
Gail

Much appreciated Gail!

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Hi Brian, what a transformation, this is really nice and you can see the depth of detail and NO over sharpening, well done! :cheers:

Agree with Randy, there is a slight colour cast and so tweaking the the Temp and more so the Tint ie go to the left addresses this. Yes there are one or two areas that are blocked ie the Black at the top of the tail feathers easy to address with the adj brush Brian.

Agree on 1200 vertical, 1600 landscape plenty big enough, especially when we used to only post at 800!!! Go bigger then you might as well print it. :bg3:

Brian this is a huge step forward, now the hard part, the subtle nuances, the tweaks, but that all comes in time, to me you have begun to mastered both capture & PP dovetailing now, look back a few months ago and compare!!! :w3

TFS
Steve

Joseph Przybyla
07-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Hi Brian, lovely image. Perch, bird, background all look great. Thank you for sharing.

P.S. Are you familiar with using the adjustment brush in lightroom?

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Hi Brian, what a transformation, this is really nice and you can see the depth of detail and NO over sharpening, well done! :cheers:

Agree with Randy, there is a slight colour cast and so tweaking the the Temp and more so the Tint ie go to the left addresses this. Yes there are one or two areas that are blocked ie the Black at the top of the tail feathers easy to address with the adj brush Brian.

Agree on 1200 vertical, 1600 landscape plenty big enough, especially when we used to only post at 800!!! Go bigger then you might as well print it. :bg3:

Brian this is a huge step forward, now the hard part, the subtle nuances, the tweaks, but that all comes in time, to me you have begun to mastered both capture & PP dovetailing now, look back a few months ago and compare!!! :w3

TFS
Steve

Steve, appreciate the kind words :-)

But I don't see where Randy commented on color cast??

Ended up adding some yellow for warmth in the og post. Had to do a good bit of color adj because of the lighting and spent a couple days on and off looking until it felt right. A little more warmth can't hurt prob.

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Hi Brian, lovely image. Perch, bird, background all look great. Thank you for sharing.

P.S. Are you familiar with using the adjustment brush in lightroom?

Much appreciated Joe.

Yes I am familiar, use it a fair amount. Nice tool to have.

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Looks good to me. A perfectly balanced image with a nice perch and beautiful BG. Ideal head angle too.

Steve Kaluski
07-22-2020, 11:51 AM
But I don't see where Randy commented on color cast??

Sorry Brian/Randy, skim read, just saw Colour cast!! I think you'll see where my thoughts are going though.

Had to do a good bit of color adj because of the lighting and spent a couple days on and off looking until it felt right. A little more warmth can't hurt prob.

There's never a rush, take your time and the more you do, the quicker things can be achieved because you get to know what needs doing and hopefully, what doesn't, which is the hard part. :S3:

Jay Ing
07-22-2020, 12:50 PM
You're gets tons of great shots Brian. Keep this up and Arash is going to want his lens back! :) This one is very nice as well. Really dig the sharpness and rotation of the head/eye. TFS.

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 01:29 PM
Daniel - thanks a million for the comments :-)
Jay - for what he charged me he should feel guilty lol. Nah he was fair. Thanks for the kind words; having the respect of amazing peers like you and this crew is invaluable!

John Mack
07-22-2020, 01:57 PM
Looks great. Love those colors on the bird. Nice pose on that mullein perch as well. Background is dead on.

Geoffrey Montagu
07-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Very nicely captured, Brian. Excellent dof, lovely soft light, nice perch, and beautiful background. Well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Brian Sump
07-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Thanks a bunch John and Geoffrey!

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-22-2020, 07:14 PM
Very nice Image. Looks good overall. Agree with the image size.

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2020, 03:29 AM
I don't have a problem with 1600 pixels. it looks perfect on my 4K NEC no need to scroll.

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2020, 03:31 AM
Brian it boils down to this, to see the image in all its beauty at 1600px tall is impossible for most people. It is possible to go Ctl- and reduce but then we would not be looking at the image you prepared, equally in PS a larger image may be accommodated but I doubt many could see the image in it's entirety.
To look at an enormous image close up is not easy, I don't think there is anything significant to be gained, resolution may be higher but how much of an increase would we perceive at a normal viewing distance when eyes are constantly on the move?

it depends on your monitor, I don't comment on 1200 px images because they are tiny on my 4K monitor, I can't see the details. Many folks have high res displays now after a decade of them being out...

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2020, 03:33 AM
Brian:

I do agree with Jon about the height of the image. I stick with 1200 on the vertical axis to avoid everyone having to scroll up and down to see the entire image. I use a 27" iMac and do have to scroll for your image size. 1600 on the horizontal axis works ok.

Randy

you need to turn off scaling on your iMAC 5K. unless it's the old model with non 5K monitor.

Randy Stout
07-23-2020, 01:37 PM
Arash:

2017 iMac 5K. Scaling is set to the default position.

arash_hazeghi
07-23-2020, 08:06 PM
Arash:

2017 iMac 5K. Scaling is set to the default position.

need to turn it off. Google it

best