PDA

View Full Version : Golden Headed Cisticola

Steven Richards
07-21-2020, 06:41 PM
Hi guys, first post. been slowly trying to improve my bird photography and figured this place would be pretty good at gaining some critical perspectives on getting better. This was taken at a parkland near to where I live in Australia.
Canon 90D, Tamron 150-600mm G2
ISO-640 f/8 Exp 1/1250

Randy Stout
07-21-2020, 08:39 PM
Steven:

Welcome! You have come to the right place to get honest input on your images. One of the best ways to become a better nature photographer is to give critiques on other folks images, because it really forces you to evaluate what you like and what works for you, which you can then incorporate into your own images.

I like the color harmony here between the bird and the background, esp. the plant on the left. Fun pose, with nice display of the grip on the perch, which is nicely scaled for the size of the bird. The angle of the birds head is good, just a few degrees back towards us, more engaging that way. Image is well exposed.

The out of focus stem angling from the bottom center towards the beak is unfortunate , and does distract a bit from the main subject. The other green stems are less distracting to me, but I do wish there wasn't the overlap of the green stem over the brown one in the background.

Finally, on my 5k monitor, the bird could stand just a bit more sharpening.

I do like the image, just trying to present the different impressions I get from it.

Look forward to more, and please feel free to comment on others images. A long detailed description is absolutely not necessary, but let us know what you like, and perhaps don't like about what you see.

Again, a big welcome to BPN.

Steven Richards
07-21-2020, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the input Randy...I'm noticing a lot of the critique being about composition...this is something i'm sure will become more available as I learn to be quicker and hence slow the capture down to a point where composition is possible. Up until the last couple of months I've just been excited to actually photograph a moving bird in focus let alone worry about other elements in the frame lol...working on it though. Realising each form of photography has its own editing process and learning from skilled and experienced ppl will help with that I'm sure :)

Randy Stout
07-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Steven:

The technical aspects of photography and the artistic side (composition, story telling, etc.) go hand in hand to create a special image. As the technical side is mastered, more thought can be devoted to composition and other artistic components. So, shoot as much as you can, evaluate your images with a critical eye, post critiques on other folks images to help train your eye. It is a grand journey.

Randy

Brian Sump
07-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Good to have you here Steven. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience, although not for the faint of heart. If you want to grow there are few better places.

There's lots to like about your image here. The reeds frame the bird nicely and that creamy beige background (bkg) is super sweet.

It seems really soft around the eye; not sure if it's just a bit out of focus (oof) or if it's a sharpening issue. Might guess the former.

There are some who are against it but if you have not already done so, learn cloning (stamping) and patch tool in Photoshop. You could take out the maroon strip coming in from right an perhaps the small burr coming off the main reed.

Look forward to many more!

Jonathan Ashton
07-22-2020, 05:30 AM
Welcome Steven, I like your image. You have choices here: do you want to portray the image as it was in the wild and as you would for a competition or do you want a chocolate box image that looks compositionally ideal. If you are not averse to patching cloning and content aware fill etc there is quite a lot you could do. If you fall in the former camp then it is a little more limited to cropping and dodge burn and blend.
The stalk on far right could be removed or it could be cropped out perhaps making the composition a little tight.
The bird doesn't look bad but I would suggest the highlights are a little bright and perhaps a little more detail could be found in the darker wing coverts. A little more sharpening especially on the head would be beneficial also a little Texture or Clarity in the plumage may help.
The ghost of a stem to the left of the bird could be muted or even removed.
Hope this helps.

David Roach
07-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Hi Steven and welcome aboard. I love the bird in environment feel of this canvas. The light featuring the subject and pose are also spot on for me. Some great advice already given on improvements. Looking forward to more. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
07-22-2020, 11:43 AM
Welcome to BPN Steven!! A beautiful bird, in a fun pose. Nice to see how the claws are curled around the perch. The out-of-focus (oof) stem intersecting with the bill is unfortunate, but sometimes unavoidable. I also agree the image seems a touch soft as posted. I have no doubt it is perfectly in focus where it should, it's just that extra bit of sharpening after re-sizing is often needed.

Well done, and looking forward to more, including critiques:S3:

John Mack
07-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Looks like a marsh wren kinda. The grass blades do show the environment where the bird lives. The light sure was nice. I could see some taken off the top.

Paul Burdett
07-23-2020, 07:06 AM
Hi Steven. A big welcome from me too (I'm in Brisbane...you?). I agree with all the comments/suggestions given here. They're one of my favourite small birds to photograph, and you've done a good job here. Exposure looks good as is the BG. Since I've joined this forum I've learned so much, as you will...you'll receive constructive criticism...the key thing is to not get discouraged as we're all about being the best we can be. Cheers.

Steven Richards
07-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Hi Steven. A big welcome from me too (I'm in Brisbane...you?). I agree with all the comments/suggestions given here. They're one of my favourite small birds to photograph, and you've done a good job here. Exposure looks good as is the BG. Since I've joined this forum I've learned so much, as you will...you'll receive constructive criticism...the key thing is to not get discouraged as we're all about being the best we can be. Cheers.Hi Paul, we met at Osprey House the other week...you put me onto this group [emoji846]...look forward to catching you around the traps

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Paul Burdett
07-27-2020, 12:55 AM
Hey Steve...small world! You have to go to Shornecliffe Pier...there's a resident Osprey there...tends to sit on top of the pole at the end of the pier, but it also flies around! I've also photographed an immature Australasian Gannet there on two occasions...yes to edit and post. Catch you at Osprey house as the chicks are hatching soon I believe. Cheers.