PDA

View Full Version : The big drip - common loon

Randy Stout
07-19-2020, 12:12 PM
This common loon was imaged in Northern Michigan last month. I thought the drip was rather fun, and if you look close you can see a reflection in it. The pair of loons on this lake abandoned their nest and eggs early on. The black flies were very bad, and probably contributed to their action. We waited for them to re nest as others in the area did, but no luck.

D500. 600VR f/6.3. 1/1600s. ISO 900. Shot from the bottom of my little boat.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
07-19-2020, 01:55 PM
Hey Randy, beautiful bird and image. Love the drip, nice capture. Techs spot on as always. It looks like the bird is submarining/sinking. Thank you for sharing.

Jim Crosswell
07-19-2020, 02:19 PM
A real beauty Randy! I like the sharpness, details and the trailing water off the bill leads you to that miniature world like water drop.

John Mack
07-19-2020, 02:26 PM
The color in the water is nice. The beads on the head are pretty neat. Of course that big drip makes this one stand out. Low angle is right on.

Brian Sump
07-19-2020, 07:24 PM
Just beautiful Randy!

Randy Stout
07-19-2020, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate your input.

Randy

gail bisson
07-20-2020, 05:35 AM
Very nice frame. Nice catchlight and early morning light
I like the drops on the head and the single drop falling.
I am not crazy about the dripping line of water- I find it a bit distracting. All a matter of personal taste really.
Great POV and it looks like he was just coming up from a dive.
Gail

Randy Stout
07-20-2020, 07:00 AM
Very nice frame. Nice catchlight and early morning light
I like the drops on the head and the single drop falling.
I am not crazy about the dripping line of water- I find it a bit distracting. All a matter of personal taste really.
Great POV and it looks like he was just coming up from a dive.
Gail

Gail: One of the reasons I like the dribble is that if you look at it closely , you can see a series of drops forming, each a bit bigger as they get ready to separate from the stream. Something different I thought. Thanks for your input.
Randy

Volkan Akgul
07-20-2020, 04:04 PM
Hi Randy. congratulations! Very good