PDA

View Full Version : Theme Phainopepla

Bill Dix
07-19-2020, 09:10 AM
We searched all over SE Arizona on our birding trip in 2015, but never could spot one of these guys - a lifer for me - until my wife and I found him in the gardens of the Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson just before catching our flight home. I posted another image of him back in the day, with a more conventional tail position.

D7000, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1600, 1/2000s @ f/6.3 manual.

Jim Crosswell
07-19-2020, 11:17 AM
It's always nice to get a bird that you wanted to see, especially when you think the opportunity has passed you by. Nice record of your encounter Bill, congratulations.

Randy Stout
07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Bill:

Agree with Jim about capturing a sought after bird. I like the crest and the tail position, nice eye.

The perch is a bit busy, and perhaps some creative cropping could down play the impact a bit.
The high key exposure makes for a bold image, bird really jumps off the white background.

Randy

Joseph Przybyla
07-19-2020, 02:00 PM
Hi Bill, nice capture. I agree the perch is a tad busy but I think the starkness of the high key processing makes it work for me. The bird looks really good, thank you for sharing.

John Mack
07-19-2020, 02:22 PM
A neat looking bird. The composition is right on. That red eye is pretty sweet. Detail on the bird looks pretty good.

gail bisson
07-20-2020, 05:40 AM
I like the visual impact of the image.
Pose is good with that raised crest.
I like the idea of "pruning" a few branches. It would really create a very dramatic, high key image,
Gail

Bill Dix
07-20-2020, 12:54 PM
Thank you all. I had done a bit of pruning on the OP, but it's hard to know when to stop. Here is a slightly more simplified version with some more pruning. I suppose I could have taken a few more twigs out, such as the one sticking down below the bird.

James Babbitt
07-21-2020, 01:01 PM
I would agree with you-prune that branch. Maybe a little tougher as the base is juxtaposed over the body. Truly a remarkable bird and a nice shot. For me the high key setting makes it even better-exposure had to be tricky.