PDA

View Full Version : Sony A9 II for birding

arash_hazeghi
07-09-2020, 03:03 AM
just wrote up my impressions of the Sony A9 II for bird photography

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/sony-a9-ii-initial-impressions/

arash_hazeghi
07-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Canon also released their first serious MILC today the EOS R%, the jury is still out given the long history of Canon's marketing claims not materializing in our hands but it could be a nice product. However as of now they do not have any suitable native lenses to go with it

Markus Jais
07-14-2020, 08:19 AM
Very interesting and well-writtenarticle. Thanks for writing it.

Have you compared the A7rIV? Obviously it does not have the same frame rate but I wonder how good it would perform compared to the A9 II with and without extenders.
I assume the A9 II probably has more internal power for AF processing so the A7rIV cannot match it but I would be interested to know how good it actually is.

arash_hazeghi
07-16-2020, 12:09 PM
Hi Markus,
the A7R4 struggles mightily at action. AF is pretty good and 12 fps isn't bad (same as D5) but the finder lag (slide show phenomenon) and the rolling shutter makes this camera pretty much DOA for action. It's good for static subjects though

Markus Jais
08-12-2020, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the reply, Arash.

Is the rolling shutter only a problem with the electronic shutter?

I assume the A9 II is much better because it can read the data much faster than the A7r IV.

arash_hazeghi
08-13-2020, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the reply, Arash.

Is the rolling shutter only a problem with the electronic shutter?

I assume the A9 II is much better because it can read the data much faster than the A7r IV.

yes and yes

Markus Jais
08-13-2020, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Arash.