PDA

View Full Version : Vantage Point

Kaushik Balakumar
07-06-2008, 06:16 AM
This beetle (??) slowly climbed up to the top of this grass plant (which apparently was one of the tallest ones) & stood there having a bird's eye view (or should I say a bug's eye view) making a survey around before flying off.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/99654170.jpg

Anybody with insect's ID...?

Nikon D300 + Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR micro
f/16, 1/80, ISO800, tripod

Critiques welcome...

Ed Vatza
07-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Nice composition executed very cleanly. The background looks great. I am a little confused by one thing. The beetle and the grass appear to be in the same plane and yet the beetle looks sharper than the grass. That's not necessarily abad thing, it just creates a bit of tension when I look at the image. Finally to borrow a line from the bird folks, I would like a bit of a head turn on the beetle! :D;)

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey Kaushik, Nice job on the Beettle details and BG. I agree with Ed it seem odd that the grass didn't come out with more details at f16, but who cares its still a nice image.

John Cooper
07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
The dark beetle is displayed nicely against the soft, bright BG Kaushik. The grass head also appears to have interesting colour and texture, strange that the small aperature (F16) didn't render it sharper :confused:

Kaushik Balakumar
07-07-2008, 02:35 AM
The beetle was selectively sharpened. The selection mask was inverted to apply some gaussian blurr to smoothen too. I should have taken care to sharpen the twig or else atleast not to smoothen it.
Thanks for all the feedback.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi Kaushik,
thanks for the explanation. Very nice isolation of the beetle. i don't even mind the falloff of dof on the grass.