PDA

View Full Version : Blue-headed Vireo

Bill Dix
06-20-2020, 03:52 PM
This cute little bespectacled fellow can be heard in the north woods, with a call that sounds like a slowed-down Red-eyed Vireo. But like his cousin the Yellow-throated Vireo, he has generally evaded my lens, spotted only high up in the trees and buried in foliage. Going through old files from a 2017 visit to Magee Marsh, I found this frame that I had forgotten about and never processed. A few other frames had his tail behind a tree or his head turned away, so this was the best of the bunch. Removed a few twigs.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 2500, 1/1250s @ f/6.3 manual.

Colin Driscoll
06-21-2020, 02:08 AM
Nice to get the furtive canopy dwellers. Good light and sure you would wish for better all sorts of things, but the shot shows the bird off well.

gail bisson
06-21-2020, 10:27 AM
Nice little bird.
Your cloning work is good.
I like the slightly cocked head.
In a perfect world the bird would have been more parallel to the sensor but a great bird to get on camera!
Gail

Brian Sump
06-21-2020, 02:45 PM
Bill, such a beautiful bird and the pastel colors in the bkg compliment beautifully.

I assume you masked the bird here? The outline seems very abrupt on the chest and, inversely the fine feathers around the underside seem to have a halo (not sharpening halo, but a contrasty halo). Curious if you are you using smart radius or any feathering?

Could just be my eyes too.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Very nice capture, Bill. Like his angle towards you, and the soft light.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Bill Dix
06-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Thank you all. Brian, I did feather the selection as I always do. But I can see the two areas you refer to, and suspect that in this case I didn't feather enough. If I remember correctly, I also slightly darkened the BG and ran a slight Tonal Contrast on the bird, which could have exacerbated the edge conditions if I didn't feather enough.