PDA

View Full Version : What is he doing?

Alfred Forns
07-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Observed some Ibis laying down on the grass (flat) with the wings stretched. I know that darker color birds will open the wings to the sun for removing parasites .... but white don't. btw there were several birds doing the same behavior in the flock.

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Axel Hildebrandt
07-05-2008, 04:31 PM
I think that 'umbrella pose' is what some waders do to cast a shadow and to be able to see the prey better.

Daniel Cadieux
07-05-2008, 05:34 PM
A couple of years ago I had three Mourning Doves do this in my backyard too. I was able to go out with my gear and creep up to document the behaviour...here is one of the three individuals. After a good while (about 20 mins) they flew up on the fence, preened, scratched, strecthed, and then flew back down and proceeded to feed. They are not white, of course, but maybe they do this for the same reason as your Ibises did. I'll be interested to hear the theories...

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w98/dancad/tn_MourningDove_6641-01.jpg

Alfred Forns
07-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Seems the same behavior Daniel. Sure hope someone can tell us !!

Axel don't think it will be related to wader behavior They are basically laying down Seven or eight birds out of a dozen were doing the behavior.

William Malacarne
07-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I raise parrots and they will do this when they are over heated. Color does not matter as the white one and the dark colored ones will do it.

Bill

Alfred Forns
07-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Makes sense William The ground is cooler and I know animals like to use dirt to cool down !!!

Rosl Roessner
08-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Sometimes the reason will be, that they want to cool down, some birds do it, because they take an "Ant bath". They want the ants to fight against the parasites with the acid the ants produce, when they are "excited" and "disturbed"

(Sorry, I often miss the english words...)