PDA

View Full Version : Blend into your environment

Steve Kaluski
06-08-2020, 07:45 AM
This shot is taken towards the foot of the old hollow trunk of the Willow tree, a favourite spot for Torn eye to sit. Shot lying flat on the ground in a bag hide, but the whole location is one where once you are there you just have to stay and sit it out, no moving, as you never know when or where the owl might be. Here, TE just blends into his/her environment oh so well, the assassin just sits and waits for any bugs or beetles to surface. Keeping a good distance I swopped to the 5D just incase for cropping, the trade off is ISO, but this is around 80% of FF, but ISO5000. The BKG is what it is you can't get away from it, even shooting at f/5.6, jut not enough distance to separate the two.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owl on perch (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon EOS-5D MKIV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III Gitzo tripod with Flexline pro ballhead
Exposure: 1/400s at f/8 ISO5000
Original format: Portrait, slight crop from above, almost FF width
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

David Roach
06-08-2020, 08:09 AM
You couldn't pick a better perch and I like the BG (as environment). Reminds me of our burrowing owls but much fluffier. Also love the composition. TFS

Jonathan Ashton
06-08-2020, 09:13 AM
I think you have good separation of the owl from the background and the setting is about as natural as you can get. Image quality looks spot on and the noise is pretty much non existant. The composition looks good and the eye is bang on focus.

Daniel Cadieux
06-08-2020, 11:06 AM
I'm loving that BG. Just enough to make out what it is, but not too much to overpower the main subject and perch. Lovely greys, browns and tans throughout as well.

Stu Bowie
06-08-2020, 02:10 PM
Hi Steve, great field craft here, and love the pose, perched high up on the perch. Great view of the talons, and overall, the little guy is nicely separated from the BG.

John Mack
06-08-2020, 03:23 PM
Love how all the tones match one another. The owl and the tree. Nice pose on that perch. I like the framing as well.