PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty Egret

Brian Sump
05-30-2020, 10:47 PM

Was practicing manual ISO at first light today and captured a series with this Egret. I want so bad to make this a keeper but I have a feeling I know what you might say, so let it rip.

D850
600mm f4e + 1.4TC
HH
ISO800
1/3200
f5.6

Processed minimally in LR and then in PS. Doctored up one part of the bird and a couple small bkg edits.

David Roach
05-30-2020, 11:05 PM
Sorry to not oblige but I love this canvas. The water is awesome, I like the ripple reflections and while it might be a tad on the bright side, I don't see hot whites and the detail looks to be there. Very peaceful. TFS

Jonathan Ashton
05-31-2020, 01:50 AM
Looks good to me Brian, the whites on the head could perhaps show a tad more detail, but it looks like a good solid frame to me. Catchlight, ripples pose, timing it's all there. As a consideration you may wish to tone down the reflection a little, it may emphasise the bird a little more??
The only thing that occurs to me is that the water is blemish free, I cannot ever recall seeing such an expanse that was free of leaves or insects or twigs or something!

arash_hazeghi
05-31-2020, 02:05 AM
I like the low angle and the color palette can't see why it wouldn't be a keeper. I agree with pulling out more details from the whites using high light slider in C1P,

TFS

Jay Ing
05-31-2020, 02:06 AM
I like it a lot. On my screen your sig is chopped though. TFS.

Daniel Cadieux
05-31-2020, 07:26 AM
It's a very sweet frame Brian. Awesome light, and the water between the mandibles is very neat. I love those colours in the water too! If anything, to me the image looks like it needs a bit of CCW rotation as it is slanting down from left to right.

Brian Sump
05-31-2020, 10:12 AM
Looks good to me Brian, the whites on the head could perhaps show a tad more detail, but it looks like a good solid frame to me. Catchlight, ripples pose, timing it's all there. As a consideration you may wish to tone down the reflection a little, it may emphasise the bird a little more??
The only thing that occurs to me is that the water is blemish free, I cannot ever recall seeing such an expanse that was free of leaves or insects or twigs or something!

Jon, I did a little PS work on a bright line across the body. What tool/process do you suggest to tone down the reflection?

I really didn't touch the water (look just under bird's rear). There was a large gnat in the air next to it's head that I cloned out, otherwise literally didn't touch the water

Brian Sump
05-31-2020, 10:13 AM
I like the low angle and the color palette can't see why it wouldn't be a keeper. I agree with pulling out more details from the whites using high light slider in C1P,

TFS

Ari, I pulled it down quite a bit but the bird starter turning pretty yellow so I backed off. Also, the more I reduced the HL the brighter the white streaks became from the reflection.

Brian Sump
05-31-2020, 10:14 AM
It's a very sweet frame Brian. Awesome light, and the water between the mandibles is very neat. I love those colours in the water too! If anything, to me the image looks like it needs a bit of CCW rotation as it is slanting down from left to right.

I see it, thanks Daniel

Brian Sump
05-31-2020, 10:14 AM
I like it a lot. On my screen your sig is chopped though. TFS.

Jay, mine too. I just right click, "open image in new tab" and you can see the whole thing.

John Mack
05-31-2020, 11:12 AM
I would keep this one for sure. Nice low angle and nice light. Interesting the is drinking?

Dorian Anderson
06-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Angle, lighting, and detail all look great! I'm not usually a fan of reflection rings, but these don't bother me as they're well controlled and have a pleasing structure to them.