PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln's Sparrow Visits My Backyard!

Daniel Cadieux
05-26-2020, 06:40 AM
How fortunate I was to have this beautiful sparrow in my backyard for 2 1/2 days recently. I've typically had a hard time photographing this species in its' preferred habitat, so what a joy seeing it gorging on fallen seeds beneath my feeders. A quick setup with some old wood I had lying around, then me hiding behind my BBQ to wait for it, and voilą!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure,e valuative metering, 1/500s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, a stray sunflower seed removed from the lumber, and some minor bill cleanup to remove some dirty spots.

Bill Dix
05-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Wait long enough and they will come to you? This is a beauty of a shot, of a hard-to-get individual (and a nemesis bird for me). I don't know if increasing the ISO and stopping down several stops would have gained enough DOF to make a difference.

Joseph Przybyla
05-26-2020, 08:54 AM
Nice find Dan, lovely image. Not much to comment on as the image is about as perfect as can be. Thank you for sharing.

David Roach
05-26-2020, 10:56 AM
OK, you set out the perch and then get this beauty to land in the best spot and give you the perfect look back. Got a good chuckle at the mind's eye image of you behind your BBQ blind. Do I have to say PMP. TFS

Dorian Anderson
05-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Love to see sparrows getting some photographic respect. As a die-hard birder, I think sparrow are greatly under-appreciated.

The shot is really lovely, the eye contact in particular. Detail is as good as it gets, and I love the green glow behind.

So envious of those who can shoot in their backyards. No such opportunity in an urban apt!

Jay Ing
05-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Ditto Dorian. Love the eye contact. You reminded me I need to set up some kind of perch to see what I can get outside my window! TFS.

John Mack
05-28-2020, 02:16 PM
Sounds exciting you were able to capture this at home. Pose,perch and background are right on.