PDA

View Full Version : Flight AND Fight

Jay Ing
05-23-2020, 04:10 PM
After having sold all my Nikon gear and taken a 2 year hiatus, I am pleased to rejoin bird photography and "the flock" here on BPN. I am as rusty as a bag of nails left out thru winter, but hopefully I can learn to ride this "bike" again. Good to look at birds with a camera in hand again... though now it's with a Sony in hand (A9ii with 200-600).

A couple young Snowy Egrets got into a squabble and took to flight. Not familiar with Sony AF quite yet, I only caught the first 3 frames (odd, I'd think I'd miss the first few - but - oh well). Glad I got what I did. Appreciate nits and picks and trying to relearn what I "think" I knew from before.

ISO: 2K, 6.3, 600mm HH, C1P/PS

If I don't upload this right - sorry folks.

David Roach
05-23-2020, 07:47 PM
Well, you got the current king of action AF, so why not. Love the interaction and I don't need eye contact when birds are interacting but I do wish for a slightly better view of the eye on left. Love the cloud BG. Welcome back... TFS

Brian Sump
05-23-2020, 10:25 PM
Welcome back Jay!

I'm newer to the scene but I have been working a lot lately with Snowy Egrets in my neck of the woods. These appear to have a strong yellow/green tone underneath for me, but I am not on a calibrated screen either.

At times they are the Kung-Fu kings of the bird world and it's a great action shot! TFS.

Arthur Morris
05-24-2020, 05:24 AM
Wonderful action shot. I brightened the image a bit and worked on the color cast ... . I've been SONY for more than a year.

I'd recommend that all SONY shooters check out the new guide I did with Patrick Sparkman here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2020/05/19/how-well-do-you-know-your-sony-camera-bodies-the-publication-of-the-sony-camera-users-e-guide-and-videos/).

with love, artie

ps: I'd be glad to apply a 10% BPN Members discount. If interested, please get in touch via e-mail to samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Arthur Morris
05-24-2020, 11:38 AM
ps: I meant to ask: where?

pps: these are not young birds; they are breeding plumage adults. Note the red lores and that the legs are black all the way around. On young snowies, the back of the legs are yellow.

ppps: welcome back!

Jay Ing
05-24-2020, 01:34 PM
I'm in the Bay Area... near where Arash lives. This was in Newark, CA.

Thanks for the info on the birds themselves. Yeah, not much of a "birder" at this point. Will learn...

kevin Hice
05-24-2020, 02:07 PM
Great shot Jay love the interaction and the sky makes a great back drop. The repost definitely looks better without the color cast. TFS and welcome back.

arash_hazeghi
05-24-2020, 06:03 PM
nice interaction Joel! I like the look back on the front bird. original look a bit too green and the repost looks a bit too red would go something in between. would crop them a bit tighter if the IQ holds up

welcome back! see you soon

John Mack
05-25-2020, 06:33 PM
The action here is right on. Love the pose on the right bird.