PDA

View Full Version : Cape turtle dove or half-collared dove

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2020, 07:37 AM
One from the archive, The Ring-necked dove, also known as the Cape turtle dove or half-collared dove. Shot mid afternoon from a hide, however the hide has special non reflective glass over an inch thick.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Ring-necked dove (Streptopelia capicola)
Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT HH
Exposure: 1/1200s at f/7.1 ISO4000
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from above, FF width
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Jonathan Ashton
05-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I like the colours and composition. The details are super, especially well shown on the shaded side. I was a little tempted to suggest brightening the eye a tad but I think it is about right, any brighter and I think it would look like it had been enhanced.

David Roach
05-22-2020, 11:27 AM
You did an under appreciated subject some wonderful justice here. TFS

John Mack
05-22-2020, 02:20 PM
The back/side lighting are quite lovely. The reflection is very nice. Like the green in the water. Detail looks great.

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2020, 02:51 AM
I was a little tempted to suggest brightening the eye a tad but I think it is about right, any brighter and I think it would look like it had been enhanced.

Cheers Jon, exactly! This is why any adjustments must and should never really be seen, everything done with a subtle and light hand. :w3

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2020, 02:55 AM
You did an under appreciated subject some wonderful justice here.

Cheers David, this is where you need to know your kit delivers pin sharp images, as shooting through one inch glass will mean a fraction of lost IQ and at ISO4000 just adds. However, minimal crop, ETTR exposure and avoiding heavy handed Contrast adjustments delivers. :S3:

The back/side lighting are quite lovely. The reflection is very nice. Like the green in the water. Detail looks great.

Thanks John.

Joseph Przybyla
05-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Hi Steve, I have been studying this image, I keep going back and looking at it. A lesson in how you handled the strong side light and still were able to keep detail in the shadows. Beautiful bird, nice composition keeping the reflection. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
05-23-2020, 01:19 PM
A lesson in how you handled the strong side light and still were able to keep detail in the shadows.

Many thanks Joe, all comes back to ETTR. BTW did you get my email and checkout Brians Towhee, you may like to read my reply on settings>

Jay Ing
05-26-2020, 05:41 PM
So Simple. So lovely. Dignified little fella (or girl)... don't know...