PDA

View Full Version : Back lit dancer

Randy Stout
05-15-2020, 08:05 AM
This trumpeter swan was flapping with strong back lighting earlier this spring. I thought the whites contrasted well with the dark background

D850 500PF f/7.1. 1/2500s. ISO 4000. HH

Post: small crop from top. Tweaked the contrast for more dramatic effect, cleaned up a few spots in the water. Darkened the foreground.
The brown on the head and neck come from feeding in the pond muck.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-15-2020, 10:51 AM
I really like the concept here Randy, love how the dark water contrasts with he bird. The wing pose and water drops are nice.

Bill Dix
05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Lovely backlit wings and water droplets.

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2020, 01:30 PM
Hi Randy, is the crop based on RoT's?

Initially I thought it needed a rotation as the HL's on the water offer an optical effect, but I guess you based it on the top of the wings? I do like the overall colour and glad you pushed things, I just wished you had more tonal range in the wings. I would add both top & bottom a Graduated filter and really darken them down, forget the clipping unless you go for a print, makes more of a graphic reflection, even add a vignette to pull focus further in. Dust down the gimmick, or as some folk say - 'tricks' (not sure what that is, but...) and go for it Randy!!!

TFS
Steve

John Mack
05-15-2020, 02:07 PM
Love how those wings just glow. The bird really pops against that dark water. Nice one.

David Roach
05-15-2020, 02:13 PM
High contrast totally works on this canvas for me. All the light including rim light, through the wings, water ripples and of course droplets put it over the top. TFS

Randy Stout
05-15-2020, 02:58 PM
Hi Randy, is the crop based on RoT's?

Initially I thought it needed a rotation as the HL's on the water offer an optical effect, but I guess you based it on the top of the wings? I do like the overall colour and glad you pushed things, I just wished you had more tonal range in the wings. I would add both top & bottom a Graduated filter and really darken them down, forget the clipping unless you go for a print, makes more of a graphic reflection, even add a vignette to pull focus further in. Dust down the gimmick, or as some folk say - 'tricks' (not sure what that is, but...) and go for it Randy!!!

TFS
Steve

What me, do post processing stuff? I am just a boring, non artistic kind of guy. Last time I went artistic , it was not well received!

Randy

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2020, 03:02 PM
What me, do post processing stuff? I am just a boring, non artistic kind of guy. Last time I went artistic , it was not well received!

Well I think you should Randy, it's a great image IMHO. :wave:

Randy Stout
05-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Here is another version, pushed a bit.

Vignette, teased out a bit more detail in dynamic range of wing feathers, rotated CCW 1/2 degree.

Randy

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2020, 03:29 PM
Randy, for me, this works, it has so much more life, but I guess it's all personal preference. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
05-16-2020, 01:12 AM
A really pleasing image....... for me the first is more pleasing, it seems more likely/credible.

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2020, 01:55 AM
A really pleasing image....... for me the first is more pleasing, it seems more likely/credible.

Jon, should there not be times when we move away for 'credible' to a more artistic POV, because of the dramatic light & setting etc, as per here??? You should checkout Andrew Parkinson. :w3