PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Baldie stare

Brian Sump
05-13-2020, 01:47 PM

Ok, I am drinking from the fire hydrant on learning here. Don't think I belong necessarily but I want to say thank you, genuinely to you all for your accepting me and your willingness to help.

This is a juvenile Bald Eagle I shot a couple months ago when I first started getting serious. I will admit it is not tack sharp (likely due to being a noob with too low SS), and I also admit I added a touch with sharpening pen around the eyes. AND I am still figuring out not over-sharpening.

That said, I would like you to judge the photo and tell me if I have gotten everything out of it that I can. I have been studying luminosity masks and just starting to get the hang but still novice.

D500
Sigma 500mm f4
Handheld

ISO 200
1/640
f6.3
Edited in C1P and then PS. Crop for aesthetics and removed branches.

dankearl
05-13-2020, 02:31 PM
It looks pretty good, face could be sharper, nice stare.
Bird on a stick with Blue sky photos are tough I think to make interesting
and the exposure is always kind of tricky I think.
Exposure looks good, here, the perch sticking in front of the bird is unfortunate.
Others may disagree, but I see zero need for luminosity masks in Bird photography.
I use Tony Kuypers luminosity mask program for Web sizing and sharpening, his masks
are way beyond my skills for even landscapes, which is what i got it for.

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2020, 03:03 PM
Hi Brian, I think it could benefit from a looser crop, especially at the foot. Agree with you about the techs and the shooting angle for me is a tad steep. Was the image slightly under exposed? Opening up the midtowns and some of the shadows helps pull some of the lost detail back into play. Just a thought, but perhaps in your adjustment to the sky, especially if it's a Global adjustment, has in parts effected the subject. If you are using TK then again, it should bring some more overall depth to the subject, I prefer more traditional Channels curves via PS, but 'there are many ways to skin a cat', as we say.

TFS
Steve

Brian Sump
05-13-2020, 03:52 PM
Dan and Steve, yes it was underexposed.

I didn't use a ton of masks here, mostly just global levels but I'm starting to play with it more. I could put this through some masks and see what happens.

Also, I debated taking out the front stick but chose to left it to give it a slightly more natural appeal. Maybe I should have removed...

Steve Kaluski
05-13-2020, 04:00 PM
I didn't use a ton of masks here, mostly just global levels but I'm starting to play with it more. I could put this through some masks and see what happens.

Brian, my advice would be keep all processing simple at this stage and 'master' the basics, then you can explore any other Third party options. Use CP1 coupled with PSCC and that's all you need. I've seen so many folk loose their way in processing an image in the early days, where they add in all but the 'kitchen sink' and the final result doesn't reflect the initial capture. If you have a good file to start with, then little PP is required - 'less is more!' :S3:

gail bisson
05-13-2020, 04:54 PM
Have to agree 100% with Dan!
A bit more sharpening on the face and getting rid of the stick would be ideal,
gail

Brian Sump
05-13-2020, 07:13 PM
Much appreciated. Comments received.

Andreas Liedmann
05-14-2020, 03:26 AM
Hi Brian ... lots been said above .

Image does lack critical sharpness and fine detail is lost somehow . You can add a tiny bit more sharpening IMHO .... to make it work as an web image .
Good call by Steve about the mid tones and the 3/4 tones for a bit more detail , as it is only 200 ISO .

You do not need a ton of masks , as a starting point create 3 masks .... one for the mid tones , one ( lights 3 ) for the lighter tones , one ( darks 3 ) for the darker tones . Based on Tony Kuyper´s free basic panel !!!!!!
My suggestion is stay away from the levels and rather use the curve adjustment layer for more flexibility in combination with the masks from above .
Just take the picker from the curves panel and click ( in the tonal area ) you want to edit , it will place a point on the curve for you . Then you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to pull the curve up or down depending on your needs !!!! Very easy to do !! Avoid strong adjustments ... as a beginner , as all things are having a consequence for the image , as the use of curves and lumo masks can be tricky . If you push the curve too far you will loose clarity due to the nature of this edit , separation can be lost on the way . You can overcome that , by slighty blurring the mask !!!!!
Seperation will be back ...

TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
05-14-2020, 09:59 AM
Thanks as always Andreas. Makes perfect sense!

Hi Brian ... lots been said above .

Image does lack critical sharpness and fine detail is lost somehow . You can add a tiny bit more sharpening IMHO .... to make it work as an web image .
Good call by Steve about the mid tones and the 3/4 tones for a bit more detail , as it is only 200 ISO .

You do not need a ton of masks , as a starting point create 3 masks .... one for the mid tones , one ( lights 3 ) for the lighter tones , one ( darks 3 ) for the darker tones . Based on Tony Kuyper´s free basic panel !!!!!!
My suggestion is stay away from the levels and rather use the curve adjustment layer for more flexibility in combination with the masks from above .
Just take the picker from the curves panel and click ( in the tonal area ) you want to edit , it will place a point on the curve for you . Then you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to pull the curve up or down depending on your needs !!!! Very easy to do !! Avoid strong adjustments ... as a beginner , as all things are having a consequence for the image , as the use of curves and lumo masks can be tricky . If you push the curve too far you will loose clarity due to the nature of this edit , separation can be lost on the way . You can overcome that , by slighty blurring the mask !!!!!
Seperation will be back ...

TFS Andreas

William Dickson
05-14-2020, 02:19 PM
I really like the HA and stare, yes to a wee bit more sharpening there. The stick in front of the bird does take 'the look' away from the subject. Nice detail on the feathers.

Will

John Mack
05-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Well somebody has noticed you. Looks pretty nice against that blue sky background. Nice detail on the bird.