PDA

View Full Version : Mycena interrupta

John Cooper
07-05-2008, 03:39 AM
This species was posted a few months back in a horizontal composition. A vertical composition in-camera was made at the same time. This Mycena is a tiny species, the tallest of the 3 being no more than 0.5 inches.

EOS 5, Canon 100mm macro, ISO 50, Flash x2 (dark rainforest), F22, Tripod.

Ed Vatza
07-05-2008, 06:21 AM
Good morning John. At least it is morning here!

I am really enjoying the fungi images that you posted. The blue irridescence of these is just beautiful and the stems look translucent. Very nice composition and capture. Well done.

Julie Kenward
07-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm not even going to comment - I'm just going to bask in the beauty of this image and ask a question. Is it true that most brightly colored mushrooms are poisonous? I thought I read that somewhere once and thought you might know.

John Cooper
07-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm not even going to comment - I'm just going to bask in the beauty of this image and ask a question. Is it true that most brightly colored mushrooms are poisonous? I thought I read that somewhere once and thought you might know.

No Julie, that's a bit of an old-wives-tale. While some very colourful species are indeed poisonous others, equally as colourful are edible.
Old-wives-tales abound in the literature on how to distinguish between the edible and poisonous mushrooms. Some say a mushroom is edible if it peels easily, or if it "smells like a mushroom", or if it does not blacken a silver spoon used to stir it while cooking, or if it does not coagulate milk. All tests like these are quite worthless. If you intend to gather and eat mushrooms from the field then you must learn to recognise the different species in the same way one can tell the difference between edible lettuce leaves on one hand and poisonous rhubarb leaves on the other; there's no easy test. For the inexperienced, it would be prudent to select mushrooms from the large range of commercially cultivated varieties ;).

Kaushik Balakumar
07-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Love the way u've composed this frame. The threesome look beautiful one below the other.
Wondering if bringing down the brightness on the edges of the mushroom heads could help. Just a little perhaps - especially the smallest one on the right bottom.

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Hey John, nice comp and great glow and color.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Hey John,
this definitely glows. Nobody mentioned the web......so I will.....bonus! I don't remember the horizontal..........but the vert works great for me compositionally.