PDA

View Full Version : Burrowing Owl #2

Brian Sump
05-05-2020, 11:10 PM

#2 of the same owl posted last night - this one with more flare and under-wing exposure. I believe it was the next, or second frame in succession after yesterday's post.

Per recommendations this am on the other photo, I reduced tone a couple notches and warmed a touch in C1P. Cropped ~25% in PS.

I really didn't do much else in post with this one, although I did study luminosity masks today and I think I'm kinda getting the hang of the idea. Now to apply it...

D850
Sigma 500 f4
Handheld

ISO 2800
1/2500
f4

PS - looks like it's Owl frenzy going on in the forum right now

arash_hazeghi
05-06-2020, 01:47 AM
this one is pretty good too, I like the small food or nesting material he is carrying. email me the NEF file I can see if I can get the color balance a bit better

tfs

Paul Burdett
05-06-2020, 04:09 AM
Top shot Brian. I like the overall composition and the Owl's pose. I also like the BG and the grass in the lower foreground, which contrast nicely with the Owl. TFS

gail bisson
05-06-2020, 06:59 AM
This is great. Needs a bit of "pop" via curves or contrast or adding a point or 2 of black to the blacks in "selective color" in PS.
Also needs a tweak in the color balance. The greens look a bit too mint green.Have you tried using the eyedropper (3 droppers one for black, grays and whites. I usually use white eyedropper on different whites in the image and choose the one that works) that is found in the levels tab in PS. This can work well and you can then use the opacity slider to tweak the amount.
I like the feet in this image,
Gail

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
05-06-2020, 11:44 AM
A fine flight shot of the owl. I like the mud clutched in the claw. Agree regarding tweaking of colour balance.

Brian Sump
05-06-2020, 11:10 PM
this one is pretty good too, I like the small food or nesting material he is carrying. email me the NEF file I can see if I can get the color balance a bit better

tfs

Sent. Thanks Ari!

Brian Sump
05-06-2020, 11:11 PM
A fine flight shot of the owl. I like the mud clutched in the claw. Agree regarding tweaking of colour balance.

Sanjeev thank you. Still learning color balance.

Brian Sump
05-06-2020, 11:11 PM
This is great. Needs a bit of "pop" via curves or contrast or adding a point or 2 of black to the blacks in "selective color" in PS.
Also needs a tweak in the color balance. The greens look a bit too mint green.Have you tried using the eyedropper (3 droppers one for black, grays and whites. I usually use white eyedropper on different whites in the image and choose the one that works) that is found in the levels tab in PS. This can work well and you can then use the opacity slider to tweak the amount.
I like the feet in this image,
Gail

Much appreciated Gail. I will give these a go.

Brian Sump
05-06-2020, 11:43 PM
Hey all, I took a crack at some color adjustments. Not sure if it's on the right track, but feel free to chime in...

arash_hazeghi
05-07-2020, 12:44 AM
Hi Brian, I took a quick 30 second shot at this, opened the RAW in capture one I only changed the color temperature to 5160 K and tint 2.3 and bingo

I might have over done it a bit since I wasn't there, you are the only one who was there and can make the call which one was closer

arash_hazeghi
05-07-2020, 12:46 AM

Brian Sump
05-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Thank you Ari for doing that

John Mack
05-08-2020, 03:48 PM
Lovely view of this owl. Nice to see the nesting material.