View Full Version : Northern Wheatear

William Dickson
05-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Canon 1DX Mk2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 2xiii
f/8
1/1250
ISO 640

I have always found it difficult to get close to these birds, but this one posed for me...Probably just in from Africa to nest here in Scotland.

Will

dankearl
05-03-2020, 12:33 PM
Nice look back pose, I think a vertical would work if you have the pixels.

Joseph Przybyla
05-03-2020, 01:32 PM
Hi Wil, interesting bird I have not seen before. I like the colors of the bird, background is just about perfect and compliments the bird. The perch is what it is, been there done that wishing for something better. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2020, 02:29 PM
A bit too central for me Will, it needs a sliver off the LHS nI think. The post is a bit ugly, is it some cement chipping? Did you try to recover some HL's on the chest & post?

I have always found it difficult to get close to these birds,

They are very skittish, try to get some when I was doing the Red deer near Kingussie.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
05-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Nice shot Will, it can be tempting to boost the colours but these look natural. I would tone down the LHS of the stump and take a sliver off the canvas LHS.
I have mixed experiences with these bird sometimes shy sometimes not so. It could be that when not shy they are simply too tired after the long migratory flight. On the beach just a couple hundred yards from my house I have often got within 15 feet, last year though it was entirely the opposite.

William Dickson
05-03-2020, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the comments...much appreciated..

Hi Steve....I reduced the highlights slightly on the chest and more so on the post.....The perch is actually covered in some sort of dried out moss or something like that...completely natural..this was at the same location as the Red Grouse

Will

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Hi Steve....I reduced the highlights slightly on the chest and more so on the post

So that's the slightly grey colouring I assume? I might have under exposed by a third then and the dark shadow plumage/wings pulled up in PP as at 640 you should be fine for a slight lift. Is Highlights enabled????

The perch is actually covered in some sort of dried out moss or something like that...completely natural..this was at the same location as the Red Grouse

Yes, now you mention it, it looks like a Lichen perhaps, but now has died back, thanks.

William Dickson
05-03-2020, 03:33 PM
I actually thought it was named a wheat ear, because of that small 'wheat sheaf' feather above the birds eye. But, in fact it is because wheat means white and ear means arse in some other language :w3 It shows a biggish white rump whilst in flight

John Mack
05-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Cool looking bird have never seen one. You handled the light very well. Like the look back pose as well.

William Dickson
05-03-2020, 03:37 PM
So that's the slightly grey colouring I assume? I might have under exposed by a third then and the dark shadow plumage/wings pulled up in PP as at 640 you should be fine for a slight lift. Is Highlights enabled????

Yes, now you mention it, it looks like a Lichen perhaps, but now has died back, thanks.

The slightly grey is natural colours Steve...I prob should have under exposed...the whites on the head, although not blown are on the 40 mark.

Will

Andreas Liedmann
05-04-2020, 07:32 AM
Hi Will ...
Nice one , I like it in terms of color tone and detail . Perch is what it is ... no complaints from ym side . The head turn is unusual but I like it ... just the comp is a bit too centered for me .

TFS Andreas

William Dickson
05-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Thanks John and Andreas...much appreciated

Will