PDA

View Full Version : Barn owl (Tyto alba)

Jonathan Ashton
05-03-2020, 06:36 AM
Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 300 mm & MC14
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 841.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 100
Exposure compensation : -1.7 EV
Shutter speed : 1/1600 sec
Aperture : F5.6
Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

David Roach
05-03-2020, 07:07 AM
Loving this series. Wonderful subtle light on that determined face. TFS

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Hi Jon, your off the Christmas card list with this, is so cool and just typify's the Barn Owl. For me there is enough space all round for the subject to breathe and I like the wing position, but obviously the Avian folk can offer better feedback.

You know I could resist it, but I do think opening up a bit really brings home those lovely natural colours and more in the wing pattern that you captured. I know you will say, but this reflects conditions and I will say, yes, but what ISO is your eyes working too?

Overall, this is by far your best and highlights the hard work you have been putting in, although I do question, did Barney take this? :bg3:

I won't RP, but will send you it, if you think it adds then you can add it into the mix of the thread. Well done Jon. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

William Dickson
05-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Very nice Jon....I would love to photograph these owls. I think you got the colours spot on, and the image has a natural feeling to it...Nice crop and the flight pose is good.

Good work

Will

Andreas Liedmann
05-03-2020, 11:41 AM
Hi Jon ... this is really a very fine image from yours .
Think the best so far from this species posted by Jon :w3

Without seeing the version created by Steve .... I can imagine halfway what he might have done , and I will like it at least to a high degree .

TFS Andreas

dankearl
05-03-2020, 12:35 PM
I like this one even without eye contact. Nice and soft light,
Nice pose, best one yet.

Jonathan Ashton
05-03-2020, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, glad you liked it. Considering it was about 2 stops underexposed it didn't turnout too bad I don't think.
Steve if you want to post an edited version that's fine with me.... better still I send the raw to you.

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Steve if you want to post an edited version that's fine with me.... better still I send the raw to you.

Bag packing tonight Jon, heading back north early tomorrow, the Owls are calling... so here is my thought based on the OP. Good luck this week, hope you get more BO's Jon, you lucky fellow. :wave:

Actually send it over now Jon, if I can I will have a go.

Bill Dix
05-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Lovely flight shot, with great lighting on the face. I like the detail on the far wing. I also like Steve's RP, although it may not be the way you saw it. Either works for me.

Steve Kaluski
05-03-2020, 03:12 PM
better still I send the raw to you.

Thanks Jon, challenging light for sure and I'm not talking for the barn owl!!! :bg3: OK, I am assuming the light & Temp when it was taken as I wasn't there, also the raw. OK, the clock say 13 mins from download, so... I just cropped what I thought.

John Mack
05-03-2020, 03:31 PM
Another nice view of this barn owl. I assume it is the same one as before. The original does look a little dark. Like the concentrated look.

arash_hazeghi
05-03-2020, 04:30 PM
this one is sharp for sure . I am OK with the hint of eye but it is a bit dark and underexposed (ISO 100!?) , the angle of light didn't help much. Steve's repose in pane 8 is a major improvement would get better if you start from RAW

TFS

Jonathan Ashton
05-04-2020, 04:32 AM
Thanks Steve for the reposts, I like the one you did on the raw file, getting the balance between the highlights and shadows on such an underexposed image is a little tricky.
Arash the auto ISO setting was a blessing in disguise, the highlights on the face and leading edge of the wings were a couple of stops brighter than anything else.

Jonathan Ashton
05-04-2020, 08:16 AM
Here is another version I processed after an exchange with Steve, I think it is a little better

Steve Kaluski
05-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Hi Jon, I had to second guess on overall colour and BKG, as the Raw did leave a lot to speculate on. Personally, and as you can appreciate, I might be slightly basis, but pane 10 with your pale blue sky. I reduced the blue for a more neutral backdrop just to play safe. Keep them coming...

arash_hazeghi
05-04-2020, 05:25 PM
it is still too dark I wonder if you are editing in a pitch dark room or if your monitor brightness is set too high.

Steve Kaluski
05-05-2020, 01:08 AM
Jon, what time was this shot at, if it’s early morning 6.30-7.00an, slightly overcast?

Jonathan Ashton
05-05-2020, 03:21 AM
Yes it was early morning, I don't know if it was 6.24 or 7.24am light was bright then cloudy alternating