PDA

View Full Version : Touch of New

Brian Sump
05-01-2020, 06:48 PM

This little cutie (Gosling of course) emerged behind mom and dad just as I was getting ready to leave my spot. 845am this morning, mostly sunny skies.

Nikon D500
Sigma f4
Handheld

ISO 200
1/3200
f4
~40% crop

Edited in C1P and PS. One small goober taken out of his fur.

kevin Hice
05-01-2020, 07:29 PM
Looks good Brian details and sharp. Cute for sure.Like the reflection. TFS

arash_hazeghi
05-02-2020, 04:26 AM
looks good, excellent details and sharpness shows the delicate chick nicely. In a perfect would he would be standing on buttery smooth sand as the shore is a bit competing with the subject

TFS

Andreas Liedmann
05-02-2020, 05:45 AM
Hi Brian ... lovely cute fluffy little gosling .
The content looks nicely balanced ... but I would prefer a classy 3x2 version , matter of taste .
Tone and color looking good and the mirroring in the water is nice .
Personally I think ... the sharpening does look kind of " gritty" ... amplified by the strong HL in the fine feather structure due to the sunlight .

TFS Andreas

John Mack
05-02-2020, 09:35 AM
Lovely view of this little one. Like the reflection and the framing.

Brian Sump
05-02-2020, 10:44 AM
looks good, excellent details and sharpness shows the delicate chick nicely. In a perfect would he would be standing on buttery smooth sand as the shore is a bit competing with the subject

TFS

Understood Ari. Thanks.

Brian Sump
05-02-2020, 11:01 AM
Hi Brian ... lovely cute fluffy little gosling .
The content looks nicely balanced ... but I would prefer a classy 3x2 version , matter of taste .
Tone and color looking good and the mirroring in the water is nice .
Personally I think ... the sharpening does look kind of " gritty" ... amplified by the strong HL in the fine feather structure due to the sunlight .

TFS Andreas

Andreas, when I cropped at a 2x3 I felt that it left me with two less than ideal options - 1. Way too much sand bar (see Ari's comments about detracting from the bird) or 2. Way too much water in front. Feel free to comment on the below revision.

I did 180/1000 sharpen in C1P and then a 90 smart sharpen at 0.9 in PS. After resizing I did a 50 and 0.5, which I thought was what Ari suggested to me a few days ago. Wouldn't necessarily think I over sharpened with those? But I'm still learning on the sharpening process.

Brian Sump
Lovely view of this little one. Like the reflection and the framing.

TY for chiming in John!

Brian Sump
Looks good Brian details and sharp. Cute for sure.Like the reflection. TFS

Appreciate it Kevin!

Andreas Liedmann
05-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Hi Brian ... thanks for the full frame .
Matter of taste ... I agree the 3x2 is a bit wide specially with too much space on the LHS .Take a look at a 7x5 crop . personally I do not mind about the " sandy patch " , if you find it too heavy just lower the contrast in that area and reduce the sharpening .

Will not comment further on your used values in your sharpening routine ... as you used sharpening methods that I do not use and/or I use different settings within Capture One , and we all might see things differently .
I stick with my comment ... though . Makes no sense if I give you " my values" and my steps ..... as you cannot copy them ,as I use different approach and a script for downsizing .... that I will not share .

TFS Andreas

Brian Sump
05-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Hi Brian ... thanks for the full frame .
Matter of taste ... I agree the 3x2 is a bit wide specially with too much space on the LHS .Take a look at a 7x5 crop . personally I do not mind about the " sandy patch " , if you find it too heavy just lower the contrast in that area and reduce the sharpening .

Will not comment further on your used values in your sharpening routine ... as you used sharpening methods that I do not use and/or I use different settings within Capture One , and we all might see things differently .
I stick with my comment ... though . Makes no sense if I give you " my values" and my steps ..... as you cannot copy them ,as I use different approach and a script for downsizing .... that I will not share .

TFS Andreas

Cool thanks Andreas!