PDA

View Full Version : Dunlin with photographic capture insight

Dorian Anderson
04-28-2020, 09:57 AM
Here is another low angle shot from SF Bay this past week. I put the bird where I did (versus lower) because I want room below him as that is where his gaze is fixed.

Several have commented on my mud crawling, so I figured I show you what it looks like. Wife accompanied me and was able to document the madness.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
1/3200 at f/5.6, ISO 800
Processed in LR CC. Clone out a few distracting specular highlights on mud.

Dorian Anderson
04-28-2020, 09:57 AM
from the adjacent seawall/path

Dorian Anderson
04-28-2020, 09:59 AM
Stripped for ride home. Wife drove on this day, but usually I have to do it on my own. Fortunately < 5 miles!

David Roach
04-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Love the raised muddy foot and droplets. Low POV makes it. Nothing better than playing in the mud... Love the backstory as well. TFS

Randy Stout
04-28-2020, 11:15 AM
Dorian:

You must be related to Daniel Cadieux! I have seen him many times crawling around in the mud like a reptile!

I like the main image as well. Great POV of course, bright band of blue at his feet livens up the more subdued OOF blues.

Interesting point about the amount of foreground. I generally agree about having room for the birds line of sight, but usually when they are looking horizontally or vertically, never considered it as important when they are looking at the ground or water, unless the water is deep and it is a bird like a GBH where he may be fishing deep in the water. Purely a matter of taste.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
04-28-2020, 11:19 AM
Nice frame I like the water droplets, too saturated for me but that's how you like them.
Hey get yourself a camera with an articulated screen..ssoooooo much easier!

Mike Poole
04-28-2020, 12:29 PM
As always, I love the ultra low POV, you really can't beat a bit of belly wriggling, hard work and you look daft but soooo worth it when you download the shots.

Footstep, droplets, head turn and sharpness are all ideal, but I think you've gone overboard with the contrast and saturation. For me, just backing off the sliders a little will reap good rewards

Mike

Jack Backs
04-28-2020, 01:18 PM
Nice image. I don't mind the saturation. I'll tip my cap to your dedication.

Andreas Liedmann
04-28-2020, 01:19 PM
Hi Dorian .... good to see a working image of yours .

Another lovely frame , perfect low POV and the colors are having a slight Velvia touch , which I quite like . Technically very well done and I do like the three drops very much !!

TFS Andreas

dankearl
04-28-2020, 01:39 PM
Another nice frame. Thanks for the pics, shows what it really takes if you want to get top notch stuff.

John Mack
04-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Low angle is spot on. I like the foreground on this one. Those little drops are nice. Detail on the bird is right on.

Daniel Cadieux
04-28-2020, 03:02 PM
Oh boy that does look like me lol!! If you posted the image of yourself in the mud in a local forum up here and asked who this was, my name would come up:t3. During August to late October I always have spare clothes in the car exactly for this (and plastic bags to put the dirty ones in). And air freshers that hang from the rear-view mirror. Anyhow, the results speak for themselves. I love the trio of drops!

Colin Driscoll
04-28-2020, 03:20 PM
Great shot, great story, thanks!

Alex Becker
04-28-2020, 08:09 PM
Great frame of this bird. Love the water drops. Great behind the scenes frames -- you gotta work hard to get these types of shots! I might take a bit off the bottom. I'm surprised you don't use one of those skimmerpods, I've never tried one but seems like it would be good for a situation like this. TFS