PDA

View Full Version : calling shorite

arash_hazeghi
04-28-2020, 03:22 AM
This image is from late 2016 in BC, Canada. I had a great opportunity photographing the short-eared owls in their winter habitat. I got many good frames. I just found this one, I think i had processed it before but I had gone for a vertical crop, this time I cropped horizontally and I actually liked the frame better. this is a juvenile bird (I think). It was raining all morning the sun came out in early afternoon and provided this background.

hope you like it

shot with the 1DX II and 400DO II + TC 1.4X III ISO 2000 f/5.6 at 1/2500sec hand held processed with latest DPP 4.20

Jonathan Ashton
04-28-2020, 06:38 AM
I like the composition and the open bill, the latter really makes the image stand out.
I am sure you will disagree but if you did apply NR I would suggest a little less - just personal choice.

Randy Stout
04-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Arash:

Agree about the comp. being complimentary, colors work well together. Open bill a plus, like seeing the talons.

Cheers

Randy

Dorian Anderson
04-28-2020, 09:25 AM
2016 seemed like great winter up there! This is another strong frame, and I think the calling action saves the less-than-perfect head angle. I like the wider view. The frame is so clean it works well.

arash_hazeghi
04-28-2020, 11:29 AM
I like the composition and the open bill, the latter really makes the image stand out.
I am sure you will disagree but if you did apply NR I would suggest a little less - just personal choice.

Hi Jon no NR was needed and none was applied here . not sure why you think I applied NR canon 1DX II files were really clean (I use DPP)

cheers

Andreas Liedmann
04-28-2020, 01:28 PM
Hi Arash ... lovely looking owl .I do like the overall comp / image design .Colors are looking good , as does the overall tones .

Regarding the smoothness of the image I agree with Jon .

TFS Andreas

dankearl
04-28-2020, 01:45 PM
Tongue and calling pose is great.
I do not understand the smooth BG comments. The BG is supposed to look smooth I thought?

John Mack
04-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Love how the earth tones in the setting/background match the owl. I don't see any evidence of too much noise reduction. The framing and calling pose are right on.

arash_hazeghi
04-28-2020, 07:28 PM
Hi Arash ... lovely looking owl .I do like the overall comp / image design .Colors are looking good , as does the overall tones .

Regarding the smoothness of the image I agree with Jon .

TFS Andreas

what smoothness you are talking about?

Alex Becker
04-28-2020, 07:57 PM
I loved this series when you initially posted it a few years back and this image is another highlight from it. Great pose, setting with the grasses, and BG. Great sharpness especially on the face. I think I prefer the horizontal here as it shows more habitat. TFS, wish it was mine