PDA

View Full Version : Frog's Paradise

Julie Kenward
07-04-2008, 07:49 PM
After almost two months I finally made it back to Powell Gardens today! The lily pond was in full swing and this was my favorite image from that part of the garden.

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 Macro
f 14 @ 1/200
ISO 250, handheld, natural light
Processed in camera raw with a bump to saturation & curves.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
07-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Very pleasing image, I like the composition. My personal preference would be to see the background slightly less saturated and a little bit lighter/brighter. The lily in the foreground is beautifully represented, I like the colour and the lighting.
Jon

John Cooper
07-05-2008, 02:56 AM
A beautiful water-lily Julie enhanced with some pleasing lighting.
The darker BG tends to enhance the main subject in my opinion.

Ed Vatza
07-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Is this flower real? :)

Julie, I am half tempted to copy your comment on my most recent post and feed it back to you here - not to be funny or sarcastic or anything like that but because it fits my situation here. The lily in the forefront is beautiful but it looks almost artificial to me. The way the lily rises out of the pods makes me feel like there should be more (pods, leaves) in focus. I guess in a nutshell its looks to me like the flower was superimposed on a background.

I don't know. Maybe I should have just lifted your line and left it at that. I don't feel my explanation is making it any clearer. :(

Julie Kenward
07-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Ed, I know how you feel...it feels that way to me also. However, it IS real - it was the only angle available to me due to a surrounding brick pond wall. I also just happened to be there when the sun was brightly shining on that single lily. Between the lighting and the size of this thing - easily a good 8 inches wide if not larger - I couldn't pass up the photo.

Jude Haase
07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Nothing less of an awesome composition here!! I think the lighting here is a lil on the harsh side but still a fine image! :)

Mike Moats
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Julie, I like it, the flower really pops and a nice soft BG.

Roman Kurywczak
07-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Hi Julie,
i agree that it mayhave been a bit bright.........and ideally i didn't want the top bit of pad or as much of the LH side grass. I decided not to get rid of them totally.......will leave that to you!...........but i did a bit of Shadow highlight..........taking the shadows>tonal width to around 20.........and the highlights to 37. darkened up the lilly w/o getting rid of too much darkness in the BG. probably could have done it in curves too.........Robert will have my head when he comes back.........but hey! it was quick!