PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Wood Duck Flap

Randy Stout
04-23-2020, 10:00 AM
This fine fellow was captured last week through the courtesy of my friend Roy vanLoo. A small vernal pond that is quite popular with the Woodys and sometimes with a variety of other visitors. It is deep in the forest, and even the trees haven't leafed out yet, lighting is always a challenge.

Z6 500mm f/4. ISO 4500 1/640 s, f/4. Shooting from my sled blind, sitting in a few inches of water, camera on the same seat/pedestal setup that I use in my loon boat.
Used the rear screen flipped out so I could keep the camera low and look straight down at the screen. One of the applications where mirrorless is a huge advantage over Live view.

Post: Full frame. cleaned up some OOF water spots one wings, noise reduction on background only. Clone stamp over a few dark splotches reflected in the water.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

dankearl
04-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Randy,
I have to say, compared to most all of your excellent work this seems a bit subpar.
I realize the viewpoint you had and it is fairly high ISO, but the IQ is not there for me.
Are you finding the Z6 frames better than your previous DLSR's.

John Mack
04-23-2020, 02:00 PM
I like the idea behing this one. Wish the wings were more in focus. I know that would be a tough one though. The water drops are neat.

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2020, 03:04 PM
Nice to see a different POV Randy, but perhaps going more symmetrical may have offered a better option? If its cropped then I might look at going wider as an alternative option? Like the detail, vibrant colours and droplets on the head.

TFS
Steve

Randy Stout
04-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys for your honest opinions. What I liked about the shot was the sense of motion and the lovely color palette. Not all birds are black and white!
Steve, this was full frame.

Randy

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-24-2020, 12:59 AM
A nice and different perspective Randy, I am glad we can see that eye and the wing spread is great. Nice action and droplets.

Joseph Przybyla
04-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Hey Randy, definitely a different perspective that I like. This view shows off the feathers wonderfully. Maybe as Steve suggested a looser crop. Thank you for sharing.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2020, 01:20 PM
I like it a lot both the view and the motion. Again, I would have preferred it wider.

with love, artie