View Full Version : Pheasant

William Dickson
04-22-2020, 05:00 PM
Canon 1DX Mk 2
f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
f/8
1/1600
ISO 640

This is one I captured from the vehicle on my way to the Red Grouse, Male Pheasant...full breeding plumage

Will

arash_hazeghi
04-22-2020, 11:45 PM
nice head shot, lots of sharp details , nice BG too. Light was getting a bit harsh and there are some shadows. like your other shots the color balance in this one is off too. it has an orange/magenta/red cast. I will let Steve correct it for you :) You need to calibrate your monitor or processing, maybe you can get together with him and he will show you
TFS

Debapratim Saha
04-23-2020, 12:23 AM
Great detail and colours,an excellent head shot.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
04-23-2020, 04:05 AM
Very nice head shot with amazing detail. Nice comp and clean BG.

David Roach
04-23-2020, 05:52 AM
Fantastic view od this beauty. Love the composition, details, BG and that eye. TFS

Dorian Anderson
04-23-2020, 08:57 AM
Such a great look at this incredible bird! Not sure I've seen so much detail on this species. Love the wide eyed look. My only issue is that the white neck band is really grayed out, presumably from highlight recovery.

Steve Kaluski
04-23-2020, 12:04 PM
Good detail and nice colours overall Will, I'm currently working on something like this as Jon knows. My only little question is, wether the wattle is just a fraction darker rather than a more 'brighter' one, so my question is, did you adjust this?

TFS
Steve

John Mack
04-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Lovely detail on this one. Like the pose and the framing.

William Dickson
04-23-2020, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Will

William Dickson
04-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Good detail and nice colours overall Will, I'm currently working on something like this as Jon knows. My only little question is, wether the wattle is just a fraction darker rather than a more 'brighter' one, so my question is, did you adjust this?

TFS
Steve

Hi Steve ....Here is a tight crop from the original RAW...Yes, I adjusted ...Lowered the exposure and highlights on the whole image...Hope this helps ....I thought it looked over exposed

Will

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2020, 04:48 AM
Hi Steve ....Here is a tight crop from the original RAW...Yes, I adjusted ...Lowered the exposure and highlights on the whole image...Hope this helps ....I thought it looked over exposed

Will if this is a direct output with NO adjustments, then why do you think it was over exposed, was anything clipped, it just looks shot on a bright day? The beak has detail, tone and form. The white collar is always a 'pig' in bright light and unless shot in overcast conditions carry's little detail overall and if you try to retrieve anything it can look odd, with areas of grey. Global adjustments are the basics Will, but often you need to do more selective adjustments in PS which you can't elsewhere, this is why PS is probably the best software out. I would have lowered any exposure via PS and been more specific in what needs adjusting. Just think of your image as an 'onion' consisting of layers which you can add or subtract and build up, if you do too much 'Globally' then you may adjust some areas that do not require that particular adjustment. If you also adjust the wattle then you may also have hidden some of the finer details which offers the sharpness required.

William Dickson
04-24-2020, 10:31 AM
Will if this is a direct output with NO adjustments, then why do you think it was over exposed, was anything clipped, it just looks shot on a bright day? The beak has detail, tone and form. The white collar is always a 'pig' in bright light and unless shot in overcast conditions carry's little detail overall and if you try to retrieve anything it can look odd, with areas of grey. Global adjustments are the basics Will, but often you need to do more selective adjustments in PS which you can't elsewhere, this is why PS is probably the best software out. I would have lowered any exposure via PS and been more specific in what needs adjusting. Just think of your image as an 'onion' consisting of layers which you can add or subtract and build up, if you do too much 'Globally' then you may adjust some areas that do not require that particular adjustment. If you also adjust the wattle then you may also have hidden some of the finer details which offers the sharpness required.

Thanks for that Steve....I don't think anything was clipped, yes too bright a day once the sun got up.

Will

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Thanks for that Steve....I don't think anything was clipped, yes too bright a day once the sun got up.

Yes, you need to be up and early Will. Surely even in DPP you can tell if it was clipped? :bg3: Even so, if it was 'bright' and not clipped, if you exposed ETTR then I would think you were around -0.30 - 0.45 which isn't much and would not harm the image. You could have then Export the images as a Smart object and toggle between ACR & PS, but you couldn't if you use DPP sadly, as you could then have an exposed image and a 'corrected' image to make layers and masks to bring the two together, but again, only making assumptions without seeing the raw. Or you could have made adjustments with the Adjustment brush in ACR too, the world has so many options to choose from....:w3