PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant - 2

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2020, 07:25 AM
Taken this morning whilst out for my hourly exercise, but primarily to check on the Little Owls, of which, as some may know, I have concerns on and have contacted the local Wildlife vet. These 'Game' birds are often around this area foraging in the grasses for bugs & beatles, occasionally sparing with other males. This one is quite easily ID because of the possible broken tail feather.

Processed on the MBP so I can only rely on 'numbers' to give me indications on WB, the rest is 'as I think', so this will be reprocessed when I'm 'back in residence' so to speak.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Phesant (Phasianus colchicus)
Camera: Canon EOS-1DX MKIII
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +1.4x III HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO1600
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from top, FF width
Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Some brighter areas in the BKG, (sky) have been blended in as such.

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

David Roach
04-18-2020, 08:14 AM
Love the OOF grass and the beautiful view of the neck and head. More on the left and bottom and back at your regular station I'm sure you'll coax even more out of the shadows on the head. TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2020, 09:04 AM
More on the left and bottom

Thank David, I shot deliberately portrait because it was a slight 'over the shoulder' look rather than a direct stare to the left, but see where you are coming from. More a the foot, maybe, I shot this way because I was pushing more of the FP away from the centre and although the RAW is 'sharp' I'm still not sure how far it may drift, until I take it back to Canon. Shooting 'mirrorless would have offered more FP's. I can easily add some more at the foot, but I wouldn't add too much more.

I'm sure you'll coax even more out of the shadows on the head.

None of the dark/shadows are clipped and so it would be minimal if any adjustment, as I want to retain the natural look and these areas are dark, but not black, remember Black isn't black, it's a % of grey. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
04-18-2020, 09:34 AM
Stick with the lap top a little longer, this looks pretty good to me!! I have a slight reservation over the saturation of the oranges and burnt golds but they are ruffled feathers and the light has caught them. I suspect he's recently had one or two battles mentioning his tail and slightly scraggy looking neck. (I note he has ruffled there but they look a little sparse).

kevin Hice
04-18-2020, 12:41 PM
I like the over the shoulder stare. The details look great especially the scallops on back of the neck. Steve this guy looks as he has had a rough day. Quite beat up. TFS

John Mack
04-18-2020, 12:43 PM
The look back here is nice. Like the framing. A bit tight but thats the way she goes.

Steve Kaluski
04-18-2020, 01:08 PM
Steve this guy looks as he has had a rough day. Quite beat up.

Indeed he has been Kevin, fighting for the females, you should have seen him yesterday when the rain overnight meant his plumage looked very bedraggled, maybe to follow? Limited life as come November he will be fair game for the shooters.

Jan van Holten
04-19-2020, 05:03 AM
I'll like it as it is. You made a clear choice to do it this way. Everyone has it's own interpretation and that is what I like. Got them in Holland to, but never take the time to invest some in these beautifull birds.

Andreas Liedmann
04-21-2020, 02:06 PM
Hi Steve .... color and tone , really love your delicate work out of cam :w3:bg3:.
Lovely fine details ...
Might be not so important .... image is just a wee bit tight , but guess this its just for training purpose and not to win prizes .

A real pleasure to view from the technical aspect !!

Folks can use this a reference file in terms of color / tone and sooooooo fine details ..... IMHO .

TFS Andreas