PDA

View Full Version : Western Capercaillie display

Ivan Sjogren
04-17-2020, 08:45 AM
The Capercaillie display is one of the true Scandinavian highlights in nature but it is a lot harder to photograph than the Black Grouse display. The display is less predictable as the males change places each morning and it can often be difficult to find a clearing where you can set your hide. These birds are extremely impresive to watch up close. The noise from such a big and heavy bird when they take off or come landing in early morning is something you never forget. Here is a photo from yesterday. I was stoked to get it displaying on this log. This is taken against the sun but I positioned the bird so that the direct light was blocked by the tail. You can see the sun shining through on the left which I liked. I didn't dare to lower the shutter speed anymore to bring out more from the darkest shadows as that would have risked not getting a singel sharp frame. Turns out the first frame was one of few sharp ones anyway, it is what it is...

All comments welcome!

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | ISO 800 | f/3.2 | 1/100s

Jerry Taylor
04-17-2020, 09:07 AM
What a great scene and capture. The specular highlights in the BG are a bit distracting, but overall really nice.

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Hi Ivan, a subject I have always wanted to photograph.

I like the natural perch and pastel backdrop which compliments the overall colour palette and offers good standout for the subject. Based on the OP there is a lot more you can retrieve from the darks & shadows which indicates what you originally capture.

I didn't dare to lower the shutter speed anymore to bring out more from the darkest shadows as that would have risked not getting a singel sharp frame.

Have to disagree Ivan, if you shoot ETTR to maximise data capture you can easily have gone higher. Unlike the 1DX's the 5D does have a 'ceiling' so to speak, but you would not have needed to go so high IMHO. Shooting Polar bears with the 5D & 500 at ISO5000 it delivered superb print quality, so don't let your fears restrict your shooting. Get to know the limitations and it will help you in the future.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
04-17-2020, 10:55 AM
Super impressive image, I bet there is not a single member of this forum who would not wish to have taken an image like this one, beautiful colours and I like the whole scene, very well done.

Steve Kaluski
04-17-2020, 11:00 AM
I bet there is not a single member of this forum who would not wish to have taken an image like this one

Agree with that Jon. :cheers:

Jack Backs
04-17-2020, 12:59 PM
Great pose. I'm OK with the background. Wish there was a little more detail in the darker areas.

William Dickson
04-17-2020, 02:48 PM
Wow....one of my fave birds still to photograph.....Very nice setting and what a great pose. I really like it and wished it was mine....Very well done

Will

John Mack
04-18-2020, 09:18 AM
Neat bird. love the pose and the framing.

dankearl
04-18-2020, 01:30 PM
I would probably have smoothed out the bight spots in the BG.
Nice calling pose, I do not really see what people are saying about detail in the blacks?
The exposure looks fine to me and I see lots of detail.