PDA

View Full Version : Large red damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula)

Jonathan Ashton
04-17-2020, 03:52 AM
Taken on my garden pond, this little guy spent all last year as a nymph, came out of his exuvia only to get tangled in the plants, unfortunately his wings never unfolded and he was doomed as he emerged.
I do have images with a more uniform background but I preferred the lighting on the damselfly in this particular one, I more or less managed to get the image without any specular highlights which is what I wanted.
Hand held
Olympus : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 300 mm
Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 601.0mm
Metering mode : Pattern
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
ISO Sensitivity : 500
Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
Shutter speed : 1/320 sec
Aperture : F8
Flash : OFF

ACR & PSCC

Randy Stout
04-17-2020, 08:38 AM
John:

Very uniform lighting on the damselfly. Good dof on subject. I do wish the subject was just a bit brighter in relationship to the brighter green background.

Cheers

Randy

Jonathan Ashton
04-17-2020, 11:31 AM
John:

Very uniform lighting on the damselfly. Good dof on subject. I do wish the subject was just a bit brighter in relationship to the brighter green background.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy I see what you mean, the colours are like they are because I deliberately cast a shadow on the subject, I am guessing it did not reach the green leaf. When I left it in the bright light it was rather glistening in appearance. I bought one of the clear white umbrellas a few years back to filter the sunlight - could I find it could I ..
Here's the one in direct light

Randy Stout
04-17-2020, 11:37 AM
Jon:

I do prefer the lighting on the damsel fly in the first version, but find the #2 a bit better overall because of the softer background.

I really like to use a large white diffuser at times when taking my frog pictures when the sun is bright, cuts contrast and specular reflections significantly, so keep looking for your umbrella!!

Cheers

Randy

Paul Burdett
04-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Yes, I prefer #2 as well...like the contrast, the smooth BG and overall sharpness. TFS

John Mack
05-04-2020, 05:14 PM
Interesting about the wings. Never have seen that. I would take either image.